Jessica (Taking It One Book at a Time)'s Reviews > Captivated

4691966
May 18, 11

Read from May 06 to 09, 2011

I want me a DEAN!!

I can whole heartily say that I absolutely, 100%, fell in love with this book, the characters and their world!
This will be a series that will grab a hold of you and won't let go until you've reached the end & are trying to sell your first born to get a copy of the next book!

A new school year has started for Mindy and she has come to terms with the fact that, her once best friend, Dean is no longer apart of her life. But when a new, extremely gorgeous, student by the name of Shane starts at her high school, she seems to be noticing Dean a lot more. There's something about Shane that she can't put her finger on. Yes he's gorgeous, but he sets off an alarm in her. Maybe it's the hypnotic was he looks at her or possibly how his voice seems to make everyone swoon, but whatever it is she can tell that Dean doesn't like......at ALL.

Mindy's best friend Markus knows that something is totally off about Shane too, but it's Dean's bad boy side that has him on high alert. So he decides that they need to take matters into their own hands and find out what's really going on with him. With a little common sense, and the help of way too many crime show re-runs, they venture out to see if they can prove any of the theories that Markus has are real.

While staking out the alley behind a popular night club via rooftop, Mindy swears that nothing is going to happen. Suddenly Markus is in a tizzy about seeing Dean kill someone and that they disappeared. Poof!
Sounds unlikely I know, but this just eggs-on the slight obsession that Mindy's got brewing for Dean.
Trying to shake what Markus has been saying about Dean, Mindy knows where her heart lies. After all these years, she knows that regardless of his hard outward appearance, and bad boy image, that Dean is the one for her. As she's slowly trying to break down his walls it abruptly comes to an end. Heart broken, Mindy isn't ready to just let him go, and she knows, deep down, that Dean isn't ready to let her go either.

OK, it's SOOOOOOOO hard for me to sum up this book without giving away a TON of spoilers! The author was so brilliant with the layout of this book and conveying her characters in such a strong manner. Though I will admit the first couple chapters are slightly rough, the rest of the book more then makes up for it! I found myself falling in love with Dean (his badboy-ness, his looks, his muscles, I could go on & on), hating Shane, and crying/screaming at the end for Mindy & Dean. Speaking of endings, this book has a cliff hanger like you wouldn't believe!! It reminds me of the one that Karen Marie Moning had in Dreamfever. It will leave you sitting in your bed yelling, 'What the F***!', then harassing & bribing the author to hurry the sequel along.
Needless to say, I am currently sending chocolates to D. Apodaca twice a week in hopes that it will
encourage the writing process.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivated.