Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Act of Redemption

Act of Redemption by C.C. Cole

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

Well, this is one of those that I will have to rate, not great/not terrible. I had high hopes for it based on the other ratings here, but soon enough the blush was off the rose so to speak.

I wasn't taken with what I'd call the metaphysical system in the book. It is a sort of One from column A, one from column B take on a magic/religious system. There are Dragons (powerful seemingly semi-divine or at least very powerful almost immortal beings). There are "demons" some described in the traditional scaly, tailed with horns and hooves motif. We have undead...and a deity of the undead. There is also hell of a sort, the big demon on the block is busy trying to expand hell into (or is it on to? oh well) Earth, at least they call it Earth. There is a mention of heaven, but we don't find out too much about it, except that the dragon seems to be in charge(not a Biblical image that).

This is another take on the good vs. evil battle (I suppose) though it has some of those components that always bug me. For example, if an innocent person dies in hell (yeah you can get into and out of hell here, I won't go into details that's a part of the story) as I was saying, if an innocent person dies while in hell (bodily) then their soul stays in hell to be tormented and feed the demons.....what kind of "good" allows that kind of rule?

There are a few other rules we find out about and some of them make just as little sense.

So, I read the first part of the book with interest watching the story line and so on. About half way through I found myself skimming. When I finished (reaching the inevitable "more to come" ending) I was really just as glad it was over.

You've got a few good ideas here, a couple of interesting character ideas and a bit of action. All in all I didn't hate the book and thought it deserved more than a 2, but just. I don't think I'll follow it up and I plan to sell or trade the book.

Just me. See what you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act of Redemption.