Jeffrey's Reviews > Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography

Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis

Feb 28, 08

bookshelves: biographies
Read in February, 2008

As much as this book is getting negative reaction from the Schulz family as character assassination or whatever, I've really enjoyed reading. The way Michaelis pulls elements of Schulz's life from the actual Peanuts strips really pays off. But whatever flaws he exposes Charles Schulz as having actually makes me like Schulz more. For a cartoonist who has perhaps been sainted or put up on a pedastel, this book makes him much more complex, and makes him above all human.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Schulz and Peanuts.

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam yeah, i'm not a huge peanuts fan - it never really resonated for me, so i'm often bemused by Sparky's beatification. this sounds like an interesting read. Something more balanced, yeah?

great cover!

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Glad you posted about this; I've been interested in reading this, but with all the negative press, I was a bit hesitant. Peanuts is my favorite cartoon strip, and since he's viewed as such a saint, I figured this might be your basic smear book. But I'm definitely going to read it now. Thanks!

Sara I think the issue Schulz's family has with it is a product not of Michaelis trying to do anything intentionally negative but of him just not really having any sensitivity as to what effect the things he said would have on any living relatives. His motivations seem to be mostly to get inside the heads of Sparky and those who were close to him out of fascination with and admiration of his work.