Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > Succubus Revealed

Apr 04, 14

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, fave-author, audiobook
Read in March, 2014

Succubus Revealed:
I just finished this series on audio yesterday, and despite the fact that my last re-read was in November (2013), I already miss Georgie and the gang! This is possibly one of my most favorite series enders ever! Is it sad? OMG yes! Are there a lot of unanswered questions? Um, yeah. Questions I hope Richelle is planning to address in a spin-off. But, it was perfect! It was so amazing to see Seth and Georgie finally come full circle and finally have all the puzzle pieces fall into place. It even made a fucking robot like me tear up more than once. Nothing, though, affected me as much as that scene with Carter pretending to be Santa for the Mortensen girls. That was probably my favorite part of the whole damn series! Being the last book, I was surprised by how much this book covered. There were of course some things I’ve been expecting since book one, but Richelle still had plenty of ballsy curveballs thrown our way!

After the fallout with Georgie and Maddie, Georgie quits her job at the book store and gets a job as one of Santa’s elfs at the mall. Georgie doesn’t even care because finally, FINALLY, her and Seth are together! Things between them aren’t easy, they never are. They still have to deal with the whole succubus energy thing and of course Georgie’s ‘on the side’ fixes, but for them being together is all worth it. Of course, Hell isn’t one for happily ever afters, but everyone is surprised when Georgie is all of a sudden transferred to move to Vegas. Roman is the most suspicious one and is convinced that Hell is playing Georgina. It certainly seems that way when she goes to check out her new job and it’s with her favorite previous boss, her best immortal friend, and a guy who is basically Seth 2.0. Too good to be true Georgie! I hate to admit it, but this part with the new Vegas crew was the only part of the series that bored me. I hated all of these new characters! Luckily, it’s only like 2 chapters long. Georgie and Seth have been through so much to let a simple job transfer get in the way of their relationship. But when Seth’s sister-in-law, Andrea, is diagnosed with cancer and has only a few months to live, their plans are once again put on hold.

Throw in a ridiculous, but very entertaining, Hellish bowling match and Georgie has more than she can handle. When more pieces of her past start coming together and it’s clear that Hell is desperately trying to cover something up, Roman and Hugh (LOVE them!) are determined to save Georgina. I was expecting (and hoping) for Georgie to be able to find a way out of Hell’s clutches since book one, but I wasn’t expecting for it to play out the way it did. This made the stakes even higher and more nerve-wrecking! That scene with Seth and Georgie, when he finds out his role in her life, was a huge shocker to me. Not necessarily what happens, but how Seth reacts to it all. That hurt! But, never fear with Richelle Mead. She may love to emotionally torture us, but she does eventually want us to be happy.

That whole last 25%-ish part of the book was seriously epic! From the point where Carter dressed up as Santa, to the infamous bowling match to the inevitable showdown in hell to the epilogue, it was perfection! The part that broke my heart was…Roman. Why Richelle? WHY????? Each time I read this, I just wanna scream ‘no, no, no, no!’ I’ve always been such a sucker for Roman since book one, even when I tried to not like him. The bastard wormed his way into my heart though. The way he behaved with Georgie in books 5 and 6 especially only sealed the deal for me. Don’t get me wrong, I am 100% Team Seth, but Roman! I want him to find his HEA. I refuse to believe Roman is gone. Richelle has mentioned several times that she would like to write a Carter/Jerome spin-off series (sometime after Bloodlines is over). Seriously, how fucking epic would that be? I’m desperately clinging to hope that it somehow involves them finding a way to rescue Roman. Maybe with the help of Yasmin and Vincent and who knows? Maybe she can find a way to work Kayla into it if it’s set in the future. Either way, I have 100% faith that she can pull it off!

Some of my favorite quotes from Succubus Revealed:
- How we love others is affected by how we love ourselves, and for the first time in a long time, I was whole.

- Jerome sighed and set down his fork. “Are you still doing that, Georgie? Don’t I suffer enough without having to endure the humiliation of a succubus who moonlights as a Christmas elf?”
“You always said I should quit the bookstore and find something else to do,” I reminded him.
“Yes, but that was because I thought you’d go on to do something respectable. Like become a stripper or the Mayor’s mistress.”

- “Please don’t get sentimental,” said Jerome. “It’s nauseating.”

- Jerome fell silent as his gaze rested on Seth’s T-shirt, depicting John Cusack’s iconic stance with the boom box over his head. ”Nice shirt,” said Jerome at last.

- “Have you ever wanted to put on a Santa suit?”
“I have always wanted to do that,” said Carter gravely.

- He laughed again and wrapped his arms around me, keeping us close. ”Oh Georgina. You make everything we go through worthwhile. Everything.”

- “You shouldn’t even need a technicality to escape Hell’s reach. They should fire you out of principle.”

- “So what do you think our odds are?” I asked. Carter shook his head.
“I can’t answer that.”
“Because it breaks a rule?”
“Because it’s too tempting for me to answer with a joke about a snowball’s chance in Hell.”

5 out of 5 stars!

Since this was my 3rd time re-reading the series (4th time for books 1-4) I’ve found so many new clues each time I read it. Not only clues that I missed the first time about Seth and Georgie, but clues Richelle might cleverly use to set up our possible Carter/Jerome spin-off. If you’ve read any of Richelle’s books then you know that nothing she does is unintentional. These are all just crazy theories but if you have any thoughts on them, let me know in the comments!

Jerome. *sigh* Jerome was such a favorite character of mine. Yes, I know he’s a demon and basically an asshole, but I still liked him. I was so upset at the end of Georgie 6. But, after a few re-reads, I’m starting to think he didn’t totally want Georgie to fail. Sure, his ultimate job was to keep her a minion of Hell, and yeah, he did a lot of shitty stuff. But a lot of it was half assed or indirect.

So I’ve been thinking…

-It’s dangerous to know a demon/angels full name and when Erik calls Jerome by his real name in book 5, he freaks the fuck out. Why? Why even add that to the story? Nothing even came out of it this time, but I don’t think Richelle is one to add irrelevant info…

-Do you think Erik knew about Georgie and Seth? Or at least suspected? He asks Georgie about him in book 5…And let’s not forget Carter was visiting Erik in book one…

-Also, Jerome asks Roman to spy on Simone supposedly because he thinks she’s spying on him. But when he finds out she’s trying to seduce Seth he takes Roman of the case and makes him follow Georgie around instead. Why? They already live together? He tells Simone later on that he knew why she was there so did he have a suspicion that Georgie was in danger? Is this why he put Roman on Georgie duty?

-And why does Jerome even bother to get Seth to rescue Gerogie if he doesn’t care? Why risk them finding out? This is what eventually brought them together. He had to have known that. Right? Yeah, he didn’t want hell to find out he had lost an employee but, Jerome does what he wants most of the time. He killed the Oneroi thing even when he wasn’t supposed to. Not to mention the fact that he’s harboring a nephelim fugitive in his area. And yeah, yeah, he votes against Georgie in the end. But really, no self respecting demon would vote in favor of Georgie…

-When Seth rescues Georgie from the dream world in book 5, she tells Jerome:
You were supposed to keep me safe,” I said in a small voice. I felt my eyes grow wet. ”You shouldn’t have let that happen – let them take me. You’re supposed to protect me.”
Jerome looked truly surprised and didn’t respond to me immediately. I was afraid he’s get angry, but instead, he said quietly, “Yes, I am. I did in the end, but – I was late.”
“Great apology,” said Carter.
Now Jerome’s anger returned. ”I have nothing to apologize for!” He turned back to me, and again, his voice was calm and patient. Almost gentle. I knew this was very uncharacteristic of him. “I brought you back. You’re safe now. They will never harm you again. Do you understand?”

-And once again, why didn’t he just wipe Seth’s memory in book 1? That would have saved a whole lotta trouble? Do you think in some way he was…rooting for Georgie??? He’s always had a…odd relationship with her and let her get away with way more than any other succubus or hellish employee.

Also, Jerome could have simply ended all of this by having Seth killed. He had Erik killed so why didn’t he kill Seth? His 9 lives would have been up AND Seth would have gone to hell. Win-win. WHY???

-And I still can’t get over why Jerome never killed Roman the first or second time. He obviously didn’t give a shit (too much) that he was his son cause he killed Helena and that was his daughter. Do you think she was maybe setting up some stuff for our spinoff??? Something important that will play a role in getting Roman back? Can the pact Jerome, Carter and Roman made in book 4 come into play?-Also, do we ever find out WHY Roman even comes back in book 4? It can’t be because of Jerome’s summoning because he comes out way before that. Since the beginning of the book. If he wanted to simply kill Georgie, he had way too many chances to do it. He also had plenty of opportunities to let others kill her (if he felt guilty about doing it himself) but chose to save her each time instead. So why did he come back?

-It seems to me like Jerome wanted someone else to do the dirty work when it came to Georgie. In book 2 he called Bastien. In book 3 it was Niphon (he didn’t call him but he always knew what he was trying to do). In book 5 it was Simone. And in book 6 it was Bastien again…Maybe he felt bad???

I saw this in a forum: ‘As much as he plays the hard ass boss I think he genuinely cares for her and I don’t think he’s preventing her from obtaining true happiness just for the sake of wanting to keep her under his rule of thumb. I think it goes far deeper than that. If that was the case Carter and him would not have the unorthodox friendship that they have, and they would not work together so much, they would be against each other. I think they are both have deeper ties to Georgie than what meets the eye and the as of yet to be revealed details will give us more insight on both of their personal involvement/interests with her!’

Obviously, I’m not the only one that thinks so. Okay, I’m done with the crazy…

***
Read more of my reviews at Mostly YA Book Obsessed
Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus Revealed.

Quotes Nereyda Liked

Richelle Mead
“No, I thought. Not just Hell. Really, Heaven was just as guilty. What kind of group could advocate goodness and not allow its members to love?”

Richelle Mead
“Jerome sighed and set down his fork. "Are you still doing that, Georgie? Don't I suffer enough without having to endure the humiliation of a succubus who moonlights as a Christmas elf?"

"You always said I should quit the bookstore and find something else to do," I reminded him.

"Yes, but that was because I thought you'd go on to do something respectable. Like become a stripper or the Mayor's mistress.”

Richelle Mead
“How we love others is affected by how we love ourselves, and for the first time in a long time, I was whole.”

Richelle Mead
“Have you ever wanted to put on a Santa suit?"
"I have always wanted to do that," said Carter gravely.”

Richelle Mead
“That's not fair," I said.
"Georgina," he said simply. "We're in Hell.”

Richelle Mead
“You remember our talk about purpose and meaning?" he asked me, the smile disappearing. "Well, I think this might be mine. I think this is what I was meant to do, Georgina.”

Richelle Mead
“We all stared at the scoreboard in stunned silence. Only Carter was able to get anything out.
"That," he told Robert exuberantly, "is how a bird in the hand gets up before the early worm."
"That doesn't make any sense," said Roger.
Carter pointed at the scoreboard. "Neither does that, but there you have it.”

12/20 marked as: currently-reading 1 comment
12/26
66.0% "This is too intense!"
12/26
80.0% "CAN'T. STOP. READING!" 1 comment
12/26 marked as: read
03/29 marked as: currently-reading
03/29
1.0% "Will be so sad to say goodbye to Georgie and the gang :("
03/29
30.0% "I can't stand Bastien..."
03/30
65.0% "Carter as Santa is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. An angel arguing unicorns vs. My Little Ponies! I <3 Carter!"
03/30 marked as: read