Lil2bizzy01's Reviews > Being There

Being There by Jerzy Kosiński

U 50x66
Feb 28, 2008

Recommended to Lil2bizzy01 by: Jim Harris
Recommended for: someone who doesn't like to read
Read in February, 2008

I was a bit hesitant to read this book, due to its description as a satire. I have always avoided satires because of my lack or knowledge.

I know, I know. I have a degree in English. However, there was a lot I was not exposed to before and throughout college, satires being included.

This book was extremely easy to read. There was no complexity to the language, although there was much complexity to the characters. Again, because this is a satire, there were many references that I think I couldn't relate to, i.e. understand.

I had to admire Chauncey/Chance for his need to speak out, and want to be heard. I also felt that pain, almost, of people not actually listening to you. My main confusion was the ending. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it because the closing scene just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book because there was no resolution, and I say resolution in a very loose sense. Upon discussing this novel with a colleague, he informed me that watching the movie would provide me a better insight about the novel, while at the same time revealing the ending of the movie. And with his revelation, I totally understand the book better.

I read this book in about a few weeks, but one could probably read it in a day or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being There.