Q_Jill Burke's Reviews > Before We Were Free

Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez

May 12, 11

bookshelves: latino-a-_historical-fiction, latino-a-_fiction_chapter-books
Read from May 06 to 12, 2011

This book is about a girl named Anita and her family who live in the Dominican Republic under the dictatorship of General Trujillo. The family is terrorized by the SIM because of their involvement in a plot to assassinate the El Jefe. Anita's sister and cousins leave for the United States to escape. Anita and her family end up living under house arrest and Anita's father and cousin are taken prisoner by the SIM for their involvement. Anita and her mother have to go into hiding. This book is actually a testimony to the author's cousin's experiences. Her uncle survived his experience in the Dominican prison. I enjoyed this book and thought it would help older children understand what it would be like to live under a dictator. We are lucky in the United States and I think teenagers don't realize all the freedoms they have. This book would create great discussions about what it would be like to live under a dictator and also look at countries that are stilled ruled by dictators.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Free.