is mee... kissa's Reviews > Once Burned

Jun 30, 12

Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

3.5
Damn, Vlad is gorgeous.
Laila's perspective on Bones was really interesting:
He was also handsome in a too-pretty way that made me think with less muscles, a wig, and some makeup, he’d look great in a dress.

=D I'm not used to picturing him in such a feminine way.

***

yeah!!!!!! Vlad!!!! wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! yummy fire-powered vamp!
helloooooooooo cover. ohhhhhhhh, not what i imagined Vlad to look like but i'm certainly not gonna complain ;)

MAJOR UPDATE
20% of this book is out now, so if you're crazy (like i am) and can't resist the temptation of reading only 20% which will be followed by a major why-did-i-do-that?!?!?! torture session because you're not gonna be able to finish the remaining 80% until later, then please visit this website:

teaser from Frost's blog peoples:

Vlad stopped when he was only inches away, still nailing me with that hard, copper-colored stare. Then he held out his hand.

"My ring."

I put it in his palm, forgetting to switch it to my left hand before touching him. A current sizzled into him with the contact, which I expected, but I didn't expect what came next.

The gothic hall vanished, replaced by the hazy cocoon of midnight green drapes encircling the bed I was on. I wound my hand into the thick fabric while a moan left my lips, sharpening into a cry at the incredible pleasure shooting through me. My grip on the drapes tightened as I writhed under the erotic combination of wet, deep strokes and lightly chafing stubble against my most sensitive flesh.

"Please," I gasped.

Vlad lifted his head, his hair like dark silk against my thighs and his gaze lit up with emerald.

"No," he said throatily. "More." And he lowered his mouth again.

Vlad's face crystallized in front of me, but instead of green drapes all around us, we were back in the hall and he was staring down at me, frowning.

"I know you caught a glimpse of something when you touched me. Your mind went silent. Tell me what it was."

My cheeks flamed with heat. At the same time, disbelief washed over me.

No. Not me and Vlad like…like that!

His frown cleared, replaced by a brow going up. Damn his mindreading. Think of something else! I mentally screamed, avoiding his stare. ANYthing else!

I no longer looked at Vlad, but I could almost feel his gaze roving over me, noting my newly tight nipples, accelerated heartbeat, and probably picking up on that damned lingering throb between my legs, too.

"Not surprising," he said at last, his voice thicker with things I didn't want to name. "I predicted the same thing myself."

argh! why do these teasers have to... tease so much!

oh look! i found more snippets:

The word “house” didn’t begin to do justice to the white and gray structure in front of me. I actually had to tilt my head back to see all the way up to the roof. It was at least four stories high, with additional floors on the triangular turrets that rose dramatically on each corner. A myriad of carvings decorated the exterior, from intricate balconies in front of soaring windows to stone gargoyles that glared down from their perches. They weren’t the only sentinels of this gothic-looking palace; at least a dozen people were stationed in various spots around the house, some standing so still that at first glance, I’d thought they were statues, too. A high stone wall with manned lookout towers encircled the property. Beyond that and the surrounding forest, dark gray mountains acted as a natural barrier, adding to the imposing feel of the place.

“Leila.”

Vlad’s voice jerked my attention back to him. He didn’t bother to hide his grin as he glanced down at my feet.

“Don’t you want to come inside before you catch a chill?”

I followed his gaze as if I needed proof that I was standing barefoot on the icy ground. I’d forgotten about the cold, being so caught up in the splendor around me, but now sharp needles of pain pricked my feet.

“Coming,” I said at once.

Two huge double doors opened and Vlad entered through them, nodding at the men who bowed to him as he passed. This time, the obsequious gesture didn’t seem out of place. Anyone who lived in a palace like this would expect to be bowed to. Hell, it was bigger than some royal castles I’d seen on TV.
I followed after him, unable to keep from looking around like a kid. We were inside an enormous hall with ceilings that were decorated with artful beams, frescos and shields. Off to the right, the ceiling lowered and became domed glass. Below it, an indoor garden with plants and flowers were arranged around chairs, couches, and a marble fountain.

Vlad strode by the garden and I followed, catching glimpses of more magnificent rooms as we continued down the main hall. Finally he stopped in front of a staircase.

“Maximus will show you to your room,” Vlad stated. He turned and began to walk away, but my “Wait!” stopped him.

“I can’t shower until I release all my excess electricity,” I said with a shrug. “Don’t suppose you have any lightning rods here?”

“I’ll get some,” he replied, coming closer. “Until then, use me.”

“I can find something else,” I hedged.

A brow arched. “I insist.”

He grasped my hand with those words. His coppery eyes stared into mine, silencing my next protest before I voiced it. He was so close that I imagined I could feel his unusual heat in the scant space between us. The warmth from his hand was certainly real. It seemed to slip inside my skin, teasing me with memories of what it felt like to be enveloped in his embrace, that hot, hard body pressed along every inch of me.
I cleared my throat to distract myself from the unexpected tightening of certain parts down below. It didn’t help that he stroked my skin as he waited for my response, even that small touch sending more pleasant tingles through me.

“Are you sure?” I had to drain myself in order for this to be effective, and though he was fireproof, it might still hurt.

He leaned down, his long hair brushing my face. Those dark strands shouldn’t have felt like teasing caresses, but they did, and again, I cursed my strange reaction to him.

“I never do anything unless I’m sure.”

His voice was lower, and his fingers tightened on my hand. A bolt slid into him that I hadn’t meant to send, but he didn’t appear to mind. Instead, a slow smile spread across his lips.

“More.”

***

and another one:

“The firestarter?” I repeated. “He’s the one you want me to find through these objects?”

Are you out of your minds? I almost added, but didn’t because even if they were, I wasn’t.

“You can do it, right?” Jackal asked, all mirth wiping from his expression.

Sure I could, but I didn’t want to. I doubted the firestarter was a friend; Jackal calling him a bastard in that contemptuous tone plus wanting me to find where he was smacked of nefarious intentions. Anyone smart would avoid being on the same continent as that creature if they were at odds, yet Jackal and the others must be trying to ambush him. The memory of the firestarter’s charming smile right before he burned Raziel to a heap of smoldering ruins was something I wanted to forget. But if I refused to look for him, I wouldn’t live long enough to worry about forgetting anything.

Any way you cut it, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Or, more accurately, between a fang and a sharp place.

I reached for the silver knife. With that single touch, the grayish images from Neddy’s death invaded my consciousness as though everything were happening to me. No surprise that the firestarter was the one who killed Neddy, using the knife after some preliminary toasting. Also no shock was that he did it with the same sort of detached geniality he’d shown while executing Raziel. I pushed past the searing pain I felt, past the feeling of floating into whatever awaited people after death, and focused on the firestarter, trying to see him now instead of only then.

This part was harder. In highly emotional situations, everyone leaves a piece of their essence onto objects, but the firestarter hadn’t been worked up over killing Neddy, so only a smidgeon of his remained on the knife. Still, detached or not, nothing tied two people closer together than death. Something about the door to the other world cracking open made essences merge and imprint more strongly, so once I pushed past the seething remains of Neddy’s rage and fear, I felt the firestarter’s distinct essence. It was only as big as a thread, but I wrapped all my concentration around it and pulled.

Black and white images were replaced with full color clarity. Instead of the grimy riverfront setting where Neddy had met his end, I saw opulent drapes surrounding me. At first I thought I was in a small room, but then I realized the midnight green drapes hung around a large bed, cocooning it. The firestarter lay in the center, fully clothed, his eyes closed as though he were asleep.

Gotcha, I thought, torn between relief and dismay at finding him in what I knew was the present.

I’d only seen him before through the grayish tones of past memories, but spying on him in the present was different. No one else was in my head but me. Free from other people’s perspectives, I took my time studying the firestarter.

At first, he looked like a normal, well-built man in his thirties, but then hints of his uniqueness showed. His espresso-colored hair was past his shoulders – longer than most men dared, but on him it somehow looked supremely masculine. Black pants and an indigo shirt draped over muscles that appeared far harder than a gym membership usually accounted for, and though no flames clung to his hands, they were crisscrossed with scars that looked like former battle wounds. His high cheekbones were accented by stubble somewhere between five o’clock shadow and a beard, yet instead of coming across as unkempt, it was rugged and enticing. I hadn’t seen a man pull off that look so well since Aragorn in Lord of the Rings, and his eyes…

Opened, a rich copper shade encircled by rings of evergreen. I would have thought they were beautiful, but at the moment, they looked as though they were staring right into mine.

It unnerved me, but I reminded myself it was only coincidence. No one ever knew it when I used my abilities to establish a link. I could be the world’s biggest voyeur if I wanted, but my most fervent wish was to know less about people, not more –

“Who are you?”

I jumped. If I hadn’t seen his finely shaped lips move, I would’ve thought I’d imagined the words. Coincidence, I reminded myself again. Any second someone would come into my line of vision and I’d see who he was really talking to –

“I’ll ask a second time,” his deep, slightly accented voice said. “Who are you, and how the hell are you inside my head?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes is mee... kissa Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second...that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.”

Jeaniene Frost
“My body is the only thing that’s truly mine, so I don’t give it away as though it’s worthless.”
tags: leila

Jeaniene Frost
“We are all more than the sum of our sins,”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura :)))"yummy fire-powered vamp":))Good one

is mee... kissa ;) haha, thanks, i thought so too.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Is this a spin off series?

is mee... kissa from Night Huntress? yep. There's also this series as a spin-off
First Drop of Crimson. So far, there's Spade and Mencheres' story. This one is for Vlad (yay!) and it's a two book series! (even yayer)!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Where do you suggest I start from?

is mee... kissa maybe just go with the order they were released, just in case there's some spoiler in one of the earlier ones. So, read First Drop of Crimson, then Eternal Kiss of Darkness and then you can attack Once Burned. ;) leave (what i hope will be) the best for last.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Alright thanks!

is mee... kissa sure, hope you like them.

Winnie What happened to the half star? :D

is mee... kissa It fell. The poor thing.

Winnie is mee... kissa wrote: "It fell. The poor thing."

LOL, LOL LOL!!!