Lormac's Reviews > Landing

Landing by Emma Donoghue

May 13, 2011

it was ok
Read from May 06 to 13, 2011

I wrote this a while ago: So... I pick up this book on CD at the library. First of all, it is by the author of "Room" which I enjoyed. Secondly, the jacket blurb is intriguing: "Sile (pronounced Sheila, BTW) is a sophisticated 39 year old Indian-Irish flight attendant living in Dublin, Ireland; Jude is a 25 year old British-Canadian historian from rural Ireland, Ontario who has never flown before. When their paths cross over the Atlantic, their lives are changed in ways they never expected." OK, what would you think? I am thinking maybe terrorist plot, maybe some sort of family relationship; maybe sort sort of criminal activity one of them is engaged in; even maybe that they are both married to the same man (oh wait, that's "The Pilot's Wife"). But it is certainly intriguing, so anyway... I start listening and find what I am listening to is actually a lesbian romance! Did not see that coming! Now what intrigues me is that I am at the beginning of Disk 4 of nine disks and since they have already consummated the relationship, and it is clear that they are a completely mismatched pair, I cannot fathom where the author is planning on taking the book, plot-wise - will I be faced with a break-up and a reunion that lasts 5 1/2 more disks? Arrrghhh! Or will we finally get to the terrorist plot, criminal activity, or family relationship? .............................................

Okay, I finished it. No terrorist plot, no criminal activity, no surprise long-long family relationship. Just an extremely long and detailed narrative of a long distance romance. Sigh. Two things I learned from listening to this book: (1) It does not matter if the couple is gay or straight, a book about a long distance romance between a couple who has nothing in common except ***!!!LOVE!!!*** is excruciating. Pages of longing with short bursts of weekend visits and subsequent arguments about why the lovers cannot be together forever. "I hate cities." "I hate the country." "I like gourmet coffee." "I like Jack Daniels." "I like designer shoes." "I like flannel shirts." Sigh. Really, this could be anyone's miserable LDR it doesn't matter - gay or straight. (2) Evidently, if you are gay, you do not smile or beam, you 'grin.' If I had a dollar for every time the author used the word 'grin' or 'grinned' or 'grinning', I would have enough money to make up for the time spent listening to this book. By the way, I don't believe it is a spoiler to say that the resolution of this book was so obvious, that it is completely amazing that these two supposedly bright women could not think of it sooner.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landing.

07/09 marked as: read

message 1: by Lindajc (new)

Lindajc I Agee almost completely with this review, and , since I also listened to it, shared the realization end disc 4, that something totally unexpected would have to happen to save the book from ho-humdom with 5 discs to go.
I finished it in vain hope. Doubt I could even have done that, but I did enjoy some of the quirky humor.

Lormac Lindajc wrote: "I Agee almost completely with this review, and , since I also listened to it, shared the realization end disc 4, that something totally unexpected would have to happen to save the book from ho-hum..."

Yes, this book was too much of an OK thing. I also read her recent "Frog Music" and I am beginning to despair for Ms. Donoghue because "Frog Music" was a complete mess.

message 3: by Lindajc (new)

Lindajc I liked Frog Music more, but maybe that's because of familiarity with the setting and interest in the times. My mystery book group has selected it for discussion next month, a suprise for me since I hadn't even thought of it as a mystery.

Lormac I thought the premise held a lot more promise than was delivered in the book. I agree with you that the setting (San Francisco in the 1800s) and the real life mystery of Jenny Bonnet should have made this a better book. I hung on to the end, but even Donoghue's solution to the mystery was pretty garbled - would a kid really shoot someone he knew and liked for many years because he developed a crush on a woman he knew for only a couple of days? Hmmmm, Donoghue had a open field of possibilities with which to 'solve' the mystery and this is her best effort? Hmmmmmm. Well, at least you are looking forward to a lively discussion at your book club meeting - our book club does better with a book where opinion is divided than with a book that everyone loves, or everyone hates.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Usher-Prickett I'm half way through and it's very same-y so thought I'd join goodreads to see what others thought. Not sure I'll finish it now if it's more of the same. Suspected as much! Useful to have feedback like this.. Thought 'Room ' was very clever but this is a bit dull

Lormac Liz wrote: "I'm half way through and it's very same-y so thought I'd join goodreads to see what others thought. Not sure I'll finish it now if it's more of the same. Suspected as much! Useful to have feedback ..."

You could read the last two chapters and skip the back and forth in the middle of the book!

Kurt I like Landing for what it's worth

Lormac Kurt wrote: "I like Landing for what it's worth"

It was not badly written - it really needed some tightening up and the use of a thesaurus. "Room" was very well-written, and I really thought it was an amazing book. But "Frog Music" (have you read that one yet?) was absolutely abysmal.

Kurt I haven't read anything else by this author and as I skimmed through parts of this book I can agree with your notion it should have been tightened up. I also have a thing about small towns (Dublin, CA is two hours away from where I live) and was screaming in my mind "Toronto!!!!" after page 42 :)