Sharon's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, own, dystomance
Read on November 21, 2011

Read on my blog to see the strike troughs/outs/whatevas: http://booksgeeksftw.blogspot.com/201...

Uhhhh... before I start this review I think it is worth mentioning, that I haven't written a book review in 18 months. It's going to take me forever a while to get back into the groove.

I was very excited to finally get my hands on Shatter Me. One thing you miss out on when you're not blogging are review copies and drama. I actually had to *gasp* wait for Shatter Me to be released to the general public. I didn't mind the wait because Shatter Me sounds like it was worth waiting for. After reading it I'm sad to say it did not live up to my hopes.

I was expecting an action filled book with a kick ass heroine. We do get to see some of that every now and than but it wasn't often enough. I enjoyed the beginning of Shatter Me. Juliette's experiences in the mental hospital (if you can even call it that) were disturbing. For a time, I felt as if I was trapped in that room with Juliette. Once Adam comes into the picture, the book become less action and suspense and more romance. Too much romance IMHO. If I had to read about Adam's sexy abs blue eyes one more time... well I'll let you imagine what I might do. Shatter Me was more romance than dystopian novel. Which is fine if you enjoy romance novels GAG.

Another problem with Shatter Me was the lack of an ending extremely metaphorical writing style. It got tiresome rather quickly. It also made it more difficult for me to become a part of the story. I felt like I was reading a book about fictional characters and not one with real flesh and blood characters. If real people spent so much time describing leaves and the weather they would never get anything done. It just gave me a headache.

Some things I did like: the strike throughs, Adam's sexy blue eyes Warner, the super sekrit underground society. I loved the strike outs/throughs/whateverthehellyoucallthem through the book and I don't know why. They were cool looking and they let us get into Juliette's head a little more. Warner was an awesome villain. He was creepy, sexy heartless, and just evil. All of the things that make a perfect guy villan

Who doesn't love a super sekrit underground society? As long as they don't eventually turn into the Morlock's. I hope we get to see more of these underground people in future books. From the way Shatter Me ended, I imagine we will.

Overall, I enjoyed Shatter Me to a certain extent. I'm not sorry that I bought it, but I won't be running or walking out to the store to get the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

11/21/2011 page 1
11/21/2011 page 23
7.0% "Huh this is pretty interesting."
11/21/2011 page 53
15.0% "This is such a sad book"
11/22/2011 page 105