Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Prelude

it was ok
bookshelves: published-1800, abandoned, bucolic-or-pastoral, spring-2011
Read from May 06 to 10, 2011

** spoiler alert **

blurbs - William Wordsworth's autobiographical poem The Prelude is arguably the most important piece of poetic writing in our language. Recorded in Wordsworth's home in Grasmere, Cumbria, Wordsworth looks back over events in his early life .

Wordsworth believed that poetry should be written in the natural language of common speech, and in that way it was revolutionary in its time.

Parts of the poem are famous, with lines quoted often such as the description of the young Wordsworth stealing a boat. Other parts are more introspective. The young poet leaves Grasmere to go to University in Cambridge, and is homesick. Wordsworth grapples with his political feelings - travelling to France at the time of the French revolution. He enjoys the hustle and bustle of London, and is euphoric when crossing the Alps. All the time this poem is accessible, bursting with colour and description, full of gripping storytelling.

The Prelude is read by Sir Ian McKellen with specially composed music by John Harle, performed by John Harle on Saxophone and Neill MacColl on guitar.

The Prelude is directed in Manchester by Susan Roberts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prelude.

05/10 page 1
0.0% "
William Wordsworth's great autobiographical poem written in the language of common speech."
07/17 marked as: read

message 1: by Bettie☯ (last edited May 09, 2011 02:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bettie☯ Michael wrote: "Good luck with this. For me, I could never stomach it."

hahaha - horses for courses and Bettie whinnies

message 2: by Bettie☯ (last edited May 10, 2011 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bettie☯ Michael wrote: "neighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (as in 'nay')"

You, sir, are quite right to neigh . Far too earnest, with metaphorical belly-button crocii to whit!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Too much for me, too!

Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Too much for me, too!

My father's take, professionally speaking, on Wordsworth, is "He could go on a bit, couldn't he?""

It could have been worse, they could have inserted some REM dirges as background misery.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Hey! I like R.E.M.!

message 6: by Bettie☯ (last edited May 11, 2011 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars