Mith's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, wizards-n-dragons, absolutely-spiffing
Read from July 23, 2011 to January 01, 2013

May 7, 2011 -
I give up. I cannot bear to go through another page with the word "bastard" being thrown in my face about twenty times. I can't bring myself to care for this book.

July 23, 2011 -
Due to the numerous recommendations and the many, MANY gushings about this "amazing" book, I'm picking it up again, against my better judgement. Hope I won't regret it.

July 30, 2011 -
Finally, after seven whole days, I'm done. I will only add what others have already said about the book - that it will fascinate, bore, shock and frustrate you in parts.

Jon's, Arya's and Daenerys' story arcs were the only ones interesting enough. Sansa is superficial, shallow and an idiot. Could not stand Catelyn and Ned was a fool. Lysa and her son creeped me out. I did not care for most of the Lannisters. I am unsure of how I feel about Tyrion.

There is a LOT of sex in the book. Everybody seems to be sleeping around, and having kids, with everybody else, siblings included. There is also quite a lot of political intrigue and war here, which, quite frankly, bored me a bit, so I glossed over those parts.

Onward, ho!

January 1, 2013 -
Only the abundance of characters introduced every other page, keeping track of which becomes more than annoying after a while, is preventing me from tripping over myself rushing to the store to pick up the sequel. Brilliant series, otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

07/23/2011 page 180
07/23/2011 page 256
31.0% "George Martin's favourite words - "bastard", "whore", "rape" ..."
07/23/2011 page 324
39.0% "Ooooh... political intrigue!"
07/24/2011 page 482
58.0% "Dammit, this is getting interesting!"
07/29/2011 page 635
76.0% "Ewww...Gross!"
12/25/2012 page 128
15.0% "Re-reading.

Maybe reading the paperback version than the e-book version will make me like this series more!" 2 comments
12/31/2012 page 570
70.0% 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arnab Das holy bleep! that was an amazing summary! i loved it though, pretty brilliant, but thats just me :)

message 2: by Mith (last edited Dec 05, 2011 02:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mith Thank you! Maybe you could write your thoughts about so I can see what you saw? :)

Harshad Sharma spoiler alert!!!!! These Words are enough to understand the whole essence of the series "A Song Of Ice And Fire".. Quite witty though, enjoyed reading your review more then the game of thrones.... Second book is quite good actually, i am about to finish, and going by your take on the first, you will like it better then the first...

Mith Harshad wrote: "spoiler alert!!!!! These Words are enough to understand the whole essence of the series "A Song Of Ice And Fire".. Quite witty though, enjoyed reading your review more then the game of thrones.... ..."

Looking forward to reading it, then :)