Joo Young's Reviews > Have a Little Faith: a True Story

Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom

May 05, 11

Read in May, 2011

I have to admit, I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed this book. It made me realize, sometimes you read certain stories at a certain time in your life and it really magnifies your perception. I was a little weary of 'hopeful' books and 'tales of spiritual journeys' but I really fell in love with the simplicity and honesty of the Rabbi and Pastor of the tale. Although I remember reading "Tuesdays With Morrie" I don't think it was as poignant as this Albom story-telling.

In particular I really enjoyed reading 'From A Sermon by the Reb, 1975' and 'A Good Marriage'. In both stories I had to think a little before the words sank in my soul but it really made me realize that life isn't that complicated. As I live life it is hard at times to appreciate the now, to quickly run for the future or hold onto the past. But I realize, it is important to just savor the present.

Overall, I think what I most related to was the connection of belief. Oftentimes, it is easy to be caught up with the 'right' answer as a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist but really there is no 'right' answer, at least in the justification of being prejudice and judgmental. I think what hit me most was when Albom questioned faith and the singular 'God', when he asked, "But what if someone from another faith won't recognize yours? Or wants you dead for it?" ... the Rabbi replied, "That is not faith. That is hate." He sighed. "And if you ask me, God sits up there and cries when that happens."

In reflection, I think this is a book I will pick up again in a few years and it will be a different interpretation to me. But how it enlightened me today, I am thankful.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have a Little Faith.