Sara's Reviews > The Medusa Amulet

4194931
May 05, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own
Read in May, 2011

I won this first-reads copy so a big thanks to Goodreads for that!

I took a while to read this book because there was so much information to absorb and I didn't want to miss out on anything, hence my review being so late.

To start, I will say that I loved the history in this book. The historical references to Rome and Florance simply fascinated me as does anything pertaining to Italy. The fact that there was a medieval, renaissance undercurrent kept me reading! I also liked the settings in France and those having to do with WW2. I have to say, I enjoyed the flashbacks best if I'm being honest. Part of it is because I love history and the book settings were great, and the other part was because I felt a little more invested in Benvenuto Cellini and Caterina but that could just be personal preference. David I thought was a fun character as well and his determination and persistence is to be noted! The romance was a bit rushed IMO, but these days that's the norm, not to mention he didn't have years to fall in love due to the fast pace setting of the book, so that wasn't really an issue for me.

I found the whole concept of the amulet to be a neat idea but I could've done with a bit less of the whole dark arts concept. I liked the mystical powers but I feel odd about objects in books holding dark almost evil powers as well. Also, the whole part with Hitler being alive was kind of strange for me. I think that entire part involving Hitler could've been cut from the book and the story still would've been great!

Overall, it was definitely a fast-paced, captivating read! It's been said in other reviews, but fans of the Da Vinci Code will love this one as well and I'd definitely like to see this on film one day! Though this book took me longer to read than the YA books I'm fond of these days, it was worth taking my time with and I thoroughly enjoyed the excitement of having an advance copy, so thanks again to Goodreads for my first ever advance novel!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Medusa Amulet.

11/01/2016 marked as: read