Amy Gwynn's Reviews > Inexcusable

Inexcusable by Chris Lynch

May 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-literature
Recommended for: Probably 16 and up.
Read from May 05 to 06, 2011 , read count: 1

I found this writing style to be one of the most enjoyable I've read yet. This was the first book this semester to really suck me in. I opened it just to get going with about twenty pages or so, but finally put the book down with only forty pages left. It was absolutely fascinating... in a morbid way.

The main character is always finding faults in other people that are absolutely inexcusable. He never even begins to consider that he has done anything like that. This is the best example of an unreliable narrator I've read yet. He has done really horrible things, but he doesn't feel remorse because he knows what his intentions were, and "he's a good guy." The way he views Gigi, even though it is nonsexual, just proves that he is a rapist. You really have to read it to know what I mean. It was scary, but the book was written amazingly.

WARNINGS: (Scale of 1-10)

Language: 4
Smoking/Tobacco: 0
Illegal Drugs: 4
Alcohol: 4
Sex/bodies: 4

This book was also my first introduction to illegal drugs in a young adult book, so there's your warning. The climax in the book is also a scene of rape, but it really isn't all that graphic. If you have a brain though, you'll know what's going on. It's made all the more interesting because you know the way the girl is reacting isn't really what the narrator thinks it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inexcusable.