Mikey T's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

May 05, 2011

Read in May, 2011

…If only we’d start paying attention to the right stuff.
Vera is an 18 year old girl that is haunted by the death of her best friend, Charlie. The two were best friends since childhood, but split apart around age 17 when Charlie started hanging out with the “bad” kids at school. Vera does not want to end up like her mother, an ex-stripper that abandoned her 6 years earlier. While trying to find her own identity and role in life, she comes face to face with her biggest challenge- can she or should she clear Charlie’s name for an arson that he did not commit?
I really enjoyed this novel. The way it moves from present day to parts of her personal history to the thoughts of her father, dead Charlie, and the thoughts of random places like the Pagoda. Doing this allows the reader to experience the novel not only from the narrator’s perspective, but also the other people and things that inhabit her life. Great piece of writing that tugged at the heart strings. One of the toughest things in life is letting go of what you cannot control. This is what Vera has to do, only she needs a way to find that release.
This is a novel I would love to teach to a classroom, but its content might not let that happen. If it were to be taught, it would have to be to a Junior/’Senior high school class due to the language and talk of sex. There is also plenty of drug usage. I feel students could learn a lot from the point of this novel. Sometimes letting go can be the best thing to do, but we have to do it on our own terms. Sometimes we might need a push, whether it be from a parent or a the ghost of a loved one (like in the story). Keeping it bottled up will only do one harm. To mask your emotions by getting drunk or high does not help. Sure, it may deaden the pain for a moment, but that moment does not last forever, and one only does more harm by partaking to try and stay with that moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.