Mikey T's Reviews > Hero

Hero by Mike Lupica

May 05, 11

Read in April, 2011

Yep, son. We have met the enemy. And he is us.
Zach Harrimen is trying to sort out his life after the death of his father. Slowly, and with the help of the mysterious Mr. Herbert, Zach begins to realize that he has super powers. With the death of his father still looming on his mind, Zach is determined to find those responsible and bring them to justice.
I really enjoyed this novel. I found myself feeling like I was reading a book version of a superhero origin comic book. My only beef is that it ended quite abruptly. Not that it was bad, but I was left wanting more at the end. I hope that the author decides to continue this story.
I would definitely use this novel in the classroom. It would be perfect for middle school and lower lever high school courses. Even with all the super powers, it still contains the same themes of finding one’s identity. I feel students will be engage by this book because of the way the chapters are broken down. It makes the novel become a page-turner. Before the reader knows it, they have just zoomed through 70 pages. I would use this novel as providing a way for students to recognize some of the heroic archetypes. I would want my students to recognize motive and intent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero.