D.G.'s Reviews > A Hunger Like No Other

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

May 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, reviewed, steamy, audiobook, re-read, the-narrator-made-me-listen, bedroom-voice, own-audio
Read from June 29 to July 02, 2011

This book was entertaining if somewhat disturbing – a hero that kidnaps and forces his attentions on an unsuspecting woman is not my epitome of romance. I know the hero has his reasons, blah, blah but it was still creepy.

One thing I liked about the book was that the heroine was fearful and timid. Romanceland is full of feisty heroines, so it was refreshing to see a woman who's afraid of her shadow overcome her fears.

Although I sort of enjoyed this book, I don’t think I’ll continue reading the series. After reading the prequel, this book and a preview of the next, I saw a disturbing trend emerge: the women are frat boys with vaginas who spend their days playing X-Box (because that’s definitely how I’d spend my time if I was immortal, you know) and the men are sleeping beauties waiting for their princesses to wake them up. NOT COOL. I never liked those heroines that were waiting for their Prince Charming to live their lives and as you can imagine, I like having the heroes in that position even less…it just makes them seen like pathetic losers. If they needed each other, it would be another thing, but in this case, the woman can abandon her mate and live happily while the poor man doesn’t have that choice. Where’s the romance in that?

Re-read in Audio 10/27/14: Since I read this book, I found the audiobooks and fell in love...with the narration! I listened every book in the series and have enjoyed them tremendously even if the plots are not really my cup of tea. Anyhow, now that I caught up with the series (took me several years because the audios would come out every 4 months or so), I actually went back and purchased this one, which was the only one I hadn't listened. Now I listened to it and enjoyed it as usual...Robert Petkoff has such a way with a Scottish accent! But I still stand by my review above of the actual plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hunger Like No Other.

07/01/2011 page 167
46.0% "These Valkyerie are sooo annoying!"

Lisa Kay D. G., I loved this story, but I have to laugh at the truth in your review. Emma is one of my favorite PNR heroines b/c we get to see her change/develop -- she doesn't spring from the womb in full Rambo-ette form.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana haha This book is sooo one of my favorites as well as the series. However, your review really does make sense. Out of all the books this one lacked the most depth. good Review!

D.G. LOL! Rambo-ette form! That's the perfect word to describe those annoying Valkieries.

Is my instinct correct or do things change as the series progress? Meaning, that we don't have the man screaming: 'You're my mate/bride/better half'! while the woman screams back: 'I don't know what you're talking about, loser!'

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "LOL! Rambo-ette form! That's the perfect word to describe those annoying Valkieries.

That still happens its just a lot more depth. A hunger like no other still shows how Kresley is Green to the world of paranormal fiction. In this book the hero came off as just a brute , and the beginning was a little ...forceful. In the other books, there are character who have been through hell and back. So there is a bit of "YOU. MATE!" but for some of these heros its like their last chance at happiness.
Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole <-- that book is my favorite. There is no he man yelling Mate. :)

Amanda D. The whole destined mate trope is pretty much a recurring theme throughout the whole series, but Kresley I think definitely improves her storytelling as the series continues. You still have the bride/mate/etc aspect, but the characters become a bit more fleshed out and their thought processes become more than just cro-magnon grunting and hair pulling.

Though I agree. If anyone approached me, shouting nonsense about being their destined bride, I'd be a little concerned for their mental health.

D.G. Thanks for letting know, ladies. Maybe I'll give the series another shot then.

Lisa Kay Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷTai•ye•shaƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: "Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole<-- that book is my favorite. There is no he man yelling Mate. :) ..."

One of my favs too!

Shell Is the narrator for this, the same as the narrator for the rest of the series? Or did you just read it instead of listen to it?

message 9: by D.G. (last edited Jun 16, 2012 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.G. Shell wrote: "Is the narrator for this, the same as the narrator for the rest of the series? Or did you just read it instead of listen to it?"

Yes, I read this one, didn't listen to it (usually if I listen to the audio, I mention the narrator in the review.) The audiobooks just came out at the end of last year but so far but only a few have been produced (0.5, 1, 2, 3 & 11). Robert Petkoff narrates 1,2, 3 & 10. A couple narrates the prequel.