Selena's Reviews > Gamer Girl

Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi

May 11, 11

bookshelves: favorites, my-must-reads, realistic-fiction, video-games, love-that-cover
Recommended for: Gamers, anime fans
Read from May 05 to 11, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Is it sad that I knew every anime/manga reference they made, regardless of how obscure it was? I mean, Chibi Vampire? XD I knew exactly what it was while most vampire fans only know Vampire Knight (which they also referenced). Dramacon, which isn't Japanese but drawn in the style, also made me smile when it was mentioned. ...Either I'm a super geek or some of the series they mentioned are more popular than I thought. Or the author's the same sort of geek I am... Hmm...

Anyway, while the book was placed in High School, it wasn't exactly accurate. More accurate than some, but I recently escaped those high school holding facilities. There's more than Amberzombies in a suburban high school, and while I admit there are an awful lot of them, the geeks, emos, etc. are pretty obvious.

And teachers aren't that stupid. Take it from a kid who was picked on since kindergarten. While some teachers are like Mr. Wilkes (who is a complete moron) or whatever his name was, most would look at the situation and go, "...No."

Some of the things in the book were super predictable. As soon as Maddy went, "OMG! Sir Leo's Matt!" I went, yeah... no. She forgot the "my friends are jerkfaces" detail (though the Gay thing was a nice twist). I guessed Sir Leo was Chad from the beginning. And when Billy took over, I literally went, "Really? Duh, that's Billy." It was so obvious. Sir Leo/Chad never talked like that--ever.

Overall, good book but for the obvious bits. But hey, there's something comforting in predictability.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gamer Girl.

05/06/2011 page 64
29.0% "My only complaint is a few inaccuracies... The book infers only goth kids are obsessed with Edward Cullen. Judging by all the "Pretty 'n Pink" girls wearing "I <3 Edward" shirts, I don't think this is correct..."
05/10/2011 page 131
58.0% "This pairing's pretty obvious."