Meagan's Reviews > The Other Side Of Dawn

The Other Side Of Dawn by John Marsden

Dec 27, 11

Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** OK this was the worst book in the series. I loved it so much. Yeah, by worst I meant the content, the stuff that happens to Ellie. I've read a lot of reviews that don't like how this book follows Ellie pretty much the whole time without the "Scooby Gang". But I liked that because we finally got to see the conditions that the rest of the population were living in while Ellie and Co. were going bush.

It was horrible. I cried a lot. Particularly in the prison camps. And seeing the state of their families after the war and how different people handle things in different ways. I mean, there's Lee who is constantly falling into states of depression and having to come to terms with the things he's been forced to do. Then Corrie's Dad who just leaves. After everything he leaves his wife. No parent should have to deal with the death of their child in such a way. And then Kevin, who after month of dreaming about seeing his family again, feels that he has to leave the country to get away from them because things will never be the same again.

I don't believe that something like this could actually happen in Australia. But that's a scary thought in itself because none of these characters thought it would be possible either. I think that's what makes this series so believable and so plausible.

It's fantastic and horrible and sad and I think I'm going to have to wait a little while before attempting The Ellie Chronicles.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side Of Dawn.