Meagan's Reviews > Sleepers

Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra

May 05, 11

Read in March, 2011

What can I say about this book? First I guess I should start off by saying that if you have never read it or watched the movie then you should do one or the other (or both if you’re up to it).
I watched the film first and just had to read the book, because I’m obviously a masochist.

I loved and hated this book at the same time.
I loved it in that I loved how it was written. I loved the people. I loved reading about his childhood and his thoughts about things (even if he did share very little of that in some ways).
I hated it because the events that the book is based around are so heartbreaking that at times I completely lost control while reading about them. That’s a warning for if you ever want to read this: DO NOT READ IT IN PUBLIC! There were a number of times on the train where I had to put the book down, stare out the window and try and blink away the tears …. other times I was caught off guard and the tears came before I could stop them.

I suggest you watch the film first only because sometimes reading about certain things is a hell of a lot harder than watching them (if that makes sense). Then, if you decide to read the book you will at least have some idea of what’s coming - not that that prepared me at all

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepers.