Meagan's Reviews > The Almost Moon

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

May 05, 2011

it was ok
Read in April, 2011

I’ve got to admit having read The Lovely Bones I expected a lot more out of Alice Sebold …. This book is extremely morbid, I mean when the first sentence of a book is “When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily” - you know you’re not in for a laugh-fest.

I was not a fan of the central character (Helen), I found her annoying and brooding and just wanted to slap her and say “get over yourself” (probably a little bit like her daughter seemed to want to do also).

However I am still a fan of Sebold’s writing. Not so much that it can take a few paragraphs to explain a gravel car park, but in the way she constructs her narrative. The story is not told in a linear way: “Helen did this, and her childhood went like this, and then this happened”. When Helen reminisces about her life she does so out of order, so the reader slowly puts the pieces of the puzzle together to figure out who this character is. I enjoyed that most about The Almost Moon, whenever I was reading about Helen’s present situation I just wanted to hear more about her mother and father, and I really wanted a lot more about her marriage.

Overall I would not deter anyone from reading this book, but I wouldn’t make it a priority either - if anything you should read The Lovely Bones first

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Almost Moon.