Heather Donald's Reviews > Drinking Closer to Home

Drinking Closer to Home by Jessica Anya Blau

May 05, 2011

did not like it
Read from May 18 to 20, 2011

After reading Glass Castle, Drinking Closer to Home just didn't do it for me. I thought the characters were mean. I thought the author was trying too hard to shock the reader. I found the excessive use of curse words annoying (and trust me, I love to curse!).

Although, the one saving grace for the book was on the second to last page: "Portia is surprised that she has not faded and evaporated with the loss of her mother...She understands suddenly that the stuff that fills her up is not the love or attention she might get from other people; it is the love she herself has for other people. We are, Portia decides, the people we love."

Having buried my mother, I feel that way too. I am surprised every day that I didn't fade and evaporate and I do believe that we are the people we love. So, would I read it again? No. Would I recommend it? No, read Glass Castle instead. Am I glad I read it? Yes, if only for that one paragraph.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drinking Closer to Home.

03/30/2016 marked as: read