Sara Richards's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 05, 2011

bookshelves: own
Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** MAJOR SPOILERS!!!! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY READ THE BOOK. (no spoilers for the other 2, as I've yet to read them.)

This book was exciting from start to finish. I can see now why it's so popular. I'd go to Hastings or Borders and see not only plenty of copies of the books, but merchandise as well. Bookmarks, journals, t-shirts, Mockingjay pins. Yet, it took me this long to finally give it a read.

Often when watching a movie, I find my self at the edge of my sit. But when I'm reading I'm usually curled up on the couch, relaxed. I remember doing just that while I was reading The Hunger Games. Katniss and the other tributes are about to enter the arena for the games. The tributes get the cue to go, Katiss makes her way to her bag, her and another tribute are fighting over it, then all of a sudden he coughs blood in her face. I jump up, sitting at the edge of the couch with my elbows propped on my knees, holding out the book in front of me as I read about the 1st kill of the games. From there, it's nothing but excitement. By the time they start the games, we're nearly halfway through the book. Yet, none of those pre-game events held any dull moments.
I had a feeling that somehow both Katniss and Peeta were going to make it out somehow, I kept trying to come up with my own ways, but she thwarted all those ideas. So, while I may have predicted the end of the games, I had no idea how she would go about it, and I still found myself holding my breath, hoping I was right and Peeta would make it home with Katniss.

I can't wait to get to the next 2 books! I know Gale hasn't had a lot of time in this book, but now that Katniss will be with both boys, both crazy about her, I'm in for an exciting love triangle. Add the fact that the Capital isn't happy with Katniss, and now may be plotting against her, I better get to the book store!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.