Wanda's Reviews > Soldier on Her Doorstep

Soldier on Her Doorstep by Soraya Lane

May 05, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley-arc, reviewed
Read from May 05 to 06, 2011

I grabbed this galley from Netgalley. I'm a huge fan of Harlequin books. I can't get enough of their authors. Love them and love their imprints too. You will never go wrong when you pick up any Harlequin book. So in "Soldier on her doorstep", Lisa receives an unexpected visit from a soldier. Now normally when military wives receives visit from soldiers, it's never good news. But she had already received THAT bad news almost eight months ago. So this visit was unexpected.

Alex promised his friend was died in his arms that he'll grant his last wish. Which was to take certain belongings to his widow and check up on them. Not really wanting to go but refusing to abandoned his promise. He finds himself at the doorstep of his comrades widow. Not being a man of many words made it difficult for him to express himself and explain to his friend's widow how sorry he was about her husband death.

Lisa seeing how much pain Alex himself was in, offered him to stay for dinner. She asked him questions and he replied in silence. But Lisa's little girl somehow understood his silence and reached out to him. Something she has not done since the news of her father's passing. Seeing how Alex and Lily responded to one another, Lisa invited Alex to stay at their cottage.

Lily opened up more to Alex and they bonded in ways that she did with her own dad. Alex managed to help Lily find her voice and open herself up in a way no one else has. And that tugged at Lisa's heart strings. A super fine sexy soldier holding hands with a tiny little girl was something that her heart couldn't ignore. The question now is would they proceed and give into raw emotions or will they let the memory of a deceased soldier get in the middle?

I really liked this book. I did tear up a bit and I laughed at others. I don't ever want to imagine having a husband who died at war. Would I be as graceful as Lisa was? I don't know and never want to know. This was a beautiful story because it was realistic and no one jumped into things without thinking. And I like that in books. Also seeing a man love another man's child is something that aches in the heart and makes you fall more in love with that man. Simply beautiful! A 5 out of 5 stars and a definite Good Choice for reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soldier on Her Doorstep.

05/05/2011 page 103
54.0% "Such a beautiful, heart warming story. Harlequin never disappoints me."