Rachel Rogers's Reviews > Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him

Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him by Danielle Ganek

F 50x66
Feb 28, 2008

Read in February, 2008

An interesting foray into the New York gallery culture, a culture I wasn't even really aware existed. Premise: "Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him" is the key painting in the show about to open at a Chelsea art gallery. The artist, Finelli, is in town from Florence for his opening (and to reconnect an estranged niece - the Lulu of the painting). Collectors are fairly disdainful of the work until something shocking happens: the artist is hit and killed by a cab right outside the gallery in the middle of the opening.

The point of view is Mia, the gallery girl, who greets everyone who enters the gallery and is privy to discussions about the buzz about these paintings now that there's a limited supply and the artist is dead.

Amusing story, likeable characters (mostly, the others you love to hate). Had a bit of a slow spot in the middle but the opening caught me right away and the last third pulled me out of any thoughts of not finishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him.