William Bentrim's Reviews > Journals of the Big Mouth Bass, Book One: Keeping Secrets

Journals of the Big Mouth Bass, Book One by Debbie Williamson

May 05, 11

bookshelves: books-for-swap
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

I gave this book to Rachel, a 10 year old, a 5th grade friend of mine who was kind enough to read and review it from the target market perspective. The blue highlights are my additions or corrections.

In her exact words: This book is about nine years old Debbie Bass, who thought most of her presents were stupid or lame. She had a hard time keeping secrets so she wrote entries in the journal. She gets the nickname big mouth bass from her brother. (Who tries to be really girly but just can’t do it. ) (She is referring to Debbie here.)

I liked this book because it’s a ture, funny and heart warming story. In the story she tries (attempts) to feed her dog whatever she does not like, set the C on fire and become more girly. But they all backfire.

I did not have complaints. (about the book)

I think 3rd -5th graders. (would like the book.)

It is interesting that although Debbie’s journal entries are addressed to God, that point was not even commented on by Rachel. It didn’t seem strange to her. I was struck by the author’s reaction to President Kennedy’s assassination. I suspect that most of us who were alive that day have an equally clear and vivid memory or where we were and how we heard. That part struck me but again, it didn’t seem to mean as much to someone in the target age group as it is, to them, ancient history. I found this to be a very touching book.

I recommend the book too.

I recommend the book.

Body of work of Debbie Sue Bass Williamson

Web Site: none found

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journals of the Big Mouth Bass, Book One.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Williamson Dear William, I would like to thank you for your review of my book. I am very grateful!

I would also like to thank Rachel, her words meant alot to me. Please let her know I am open to questions if she has any.

My Heart!