Cole Riann's Reviews > Reverb

Reverb by Jet Mykles

May 24, 11

bookshelves: m-m, m-m-contemporary, m-m-famous, m-m-friends2lovers, m-m-gfy-ofy, m-m-musicians-rockers, m-m-substance-abuse
Read on May 24, 2011

I think this just might be the best Jet Mykles that I've read so far. I like the fact that she's taken something that she's done well and is successful at and really tried to make it better (gfy rockers). The subject matter, emotions, and the events in this new book are certainly taken to a new level from the popular Heaven Sent books. The world is grittier, the emotions are deeper, and she's given the story a lot more room to grow at almost double the pages of those other books.

I was certainly impressed that JM was able to take a world that she's written quite a bit in and show us a new side of it. I was also surprised and very impressed with how realistically the California music world is shown, in all its light and dark shades. The glimmering veil of success measured by partners and pockets full of pills and powder is ripped away quite early in the story and is like a harsh slap in the face to Marlowe, who has become somewhat of a bloated fish in a tiny pond, feeding off of the admiration until he's lost in it, until it disappears and he's cut adrift. I appreciated his growth throughout the story and I really believed in him.

I do get frustrated sometimes in JM's stories because a lot of the times the characters never really seem to talk to each other until they've built completely separate sides to the world their relationship encompasses, always presupposing what the other side looks and thinks like. I suppose I could say this is stereotypical of men, gay or straight, to not talk about their feelings, but I also feel like it runs deeper than that. I would have definitely rated this book as 5 stars if I felt like I understood more about Marlowe's past. It has quite a bit to do with his substance abuse and it is only ever briefly alluded to. I am, of course, but one person, and I don't always believe that more information is good for a story. However, in this case, where a lot of the second half of the book deals exclusively with the central relationship, I would have appreciated more background information.

All together, I enjoyed this book immensely. I certainly hope that JM decides to make this a series, as she often does. There were quite a few references to Female Unspeakable Parts and Dirty Acts with Women, but I suppose with a bi guy and a reformed straight man, this is to be expected. Its just too much for these gay eyes to read about :)
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reverb.

Angel Excellent review Cole! Thank you!

Lauraadriana Great review Cole...I'm about 80% done with this one and it might be my favorite Jet Mykles yet...

Edina Rose I had already decided not to read the book because I did not want to "re-read Heaven Sent". Maybe I will give it a try. Great review.

Lauraadriana Edina wrote: "I had already decided not to read the book because I did not want to "re-read Heaven Sent". Maybe I will give it a try. Great review."

Edina babe, THIS IS NOT Heaven Sent...trust me girl...you know I would not lead you astray. I'm actually about to write my review since my crappy internet is finally working. I loved this one...go read it woman!

Cole Riann Angel wrote: "Excellent review Cole! Thank you!"

Thanks Angel!

Cole Riann Lauraadriana wrote: "Great review Cole...I'm about 80% done with this one and it might be my favorite Jet Mykles yet..."

I know, right? It's so great!

Cole Riann Edina wrote: "I had already decided not to read the book because I did not want to "re-read Heaven Sent". Maybe I will give it a try. Great review."

Thanks Edina :) You should definitely give it a chance, though. Being centered around music is the ONLY thing they have in common... well, except for sexy androgynous and bi-confused men.. Stop me before I swoon!

Cole Riann Lauraadriana wrote: "Edina wrote: "I had already decided not to read the book because I did not want to "re-read Heaven Sent". Maybe I will give it a try. Great review."

Edina babe, THIS IS NOT Heaven Sent...trust me ..."

True dat! Can't wait to read your review :)

Reggie Thanks Cole!! I'll go buy it now. I've been putting it off until someone I knew reviewed it. Sorry to use you sooo unmercifully!! xxo

message 10: by Cole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cole Riann Reggie wrote: "Thanks Cole!! I'll go buy it now. I've been putting it off until someone I knew reviewed it. Sorry to use you sooo unmercifully!! xxo"

That's what I'm here for Reg, use me all you want! Uh oh, that didn't come out right...

Reggie Hee Hee!! I'm love'n it so far,thanks! 8)

message 12: by Cole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cole Riann Reggie wrote: "Hee Hee!! I'm love'n it so far,thanks! 8)"

Good, I'm glad :)

Rossy Fantastic review Cole, could not agree with you more. I also think this was her best work yet.

message 14: by Cole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cole Riann Thanks Rossy!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) I was thinking very seriously about reading this book because one of the MCs goes to prison. Is it gritty prison or is the prison part glossed over?

This review was awesome which is tipping me towards the Read It side of the meter.

Rossy Glossed over i would think. Although it's a celebrity prison without amenities but don't have to share the room.

message 17: by Cole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cole Riann Yeah its not gritty at all the few years that he is there is largely skipped over, though there are a few scenes where he's still there but about to get out. But yeah "celebrity prison" says it pretty well. I really liked that too, that he went to prison. I thought that whole part of this book was done extremely well, and the guy who goes in is VERY different than the one who comes out. It's quite interesting. I say read it, Lad!