Donna's Reviews > Exotic Music of the Belly Dancer

Exotic Music of the Belly Dancer by Brian Sweany

Feb 19, 12

Read in December, 2010

Sweany is a brilliant story-teller that makes it impossible to put down this over-sexed but powerhouse of a story. Male coming-of-age stories are far down on my list of favorite reading experiences as I lean toward Book Club, literary fiction, history, or science. But, book whore that I am, if a book crosses my palm I will start it. In this case, it was more curiosity than luck as I felt drawn to read this e-book by someone whose writing I have always found engaging in other venues. The first page nearly had me turning off the kindle, but Sweany's amazing story-telling and wit kept me clicking late into the evening. As the book progressed there were moments of Vonnegut and Hunter Thompson that emerged from the kindle screen. His protagonist is that guy every teen male wanted to be, getting the hot girls, the booze, drugs, and attention. Yet, beneath that cocksure attitude and bravado is a touching and achingly needy lost-boy. This fifty-year old mom was playing emotional tennis, "What an ass!" " How can he cope?" Prepare to read this unique, ambitious novel in one-sitting and muddle through the slightly lengthy beginning freshman year as the remainder is worth the wait. A young writer to watch. This usually skeptical reviewer has great faith that this is one debut novelist to put on your watch list.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exotic Music of the Belly Dancer.