Donna's Reviews > The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Holly Black

May 05, 11

bookshelves: ebook, 2011-read, children-s-literature
Read from May 03 to 05, 2011

I watched the movie adaptation of this book a little while back, and truly enjoyed it. I found the original book to be just as entertaining and exciting.

This book is the first in a series of five about the Grace siblings, twins Simon and Jared, and older sister Mallory. Many fairy tales and books love using the trope of three siblings, but Black and DiTerlizzi do well in playing with the old cliches. All three have distinct personalities, but the authors are good enough writers to show that they truly care for each other, an impressive feat in such a short novel.

This series has, I believe, been compared with A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I think the two are fundamentally different. This series is decidedly more supernatural, with goblins, brownies and fairies to spare. It's also on a much smaller scale, all the action takes place in one old house. The action does cut off rather abruptly, but there are four more books to pick up where this short book leaves off.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this to children and adults who enjoy a rollicking good adventure. The book itself comes with lovely illustrations and clever newspaper clippings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field Guide.