Andy Shuping's Reviews > Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human

Supergods by Grant Morrison

Sep 13, 11

Grant Morrison, writer of such standout works as All Star Superman (Vols. 1 and 2) and continued work in the DC Universe on Batman, turns his eye to the history of the superhero--a topic never really fully explored before. Morrison brings his insider knowledge to play and dazzles the reader, not only with the history of super hero comics, but the psychology behind it as well. Morrison also shows us how superheroes fit in to almost every aspect of our lives, reflecting our very selves in these figures that we create.

Morrison creates a text, that for the most part, is easy to read and to follow along a linear timeline. He shows us just how much comics and superheroes have impacted our lives. It seems like lately comics have fallen into the realm of "nerd" and not meant for everyone, but Morrison shows us that just isn't true. That they were created for the everyman to give us hope during dark times, laughter (well ok maybe that's not what they meant it for but we can still laugh at them), and inspiration to overcome obstacles. Morrison highlights not only the big names--Batman and Superman--but also introduces us to other superheroes that we have forgotten, but still have meaning.

Supergods is not just for the comic book fan/nerd/person. It's a text for everyone to understand how superheroes, whether we know it or not, have impacted our lives and the world around us. This is a must have book for anyone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supergods.