Wynter Adelle's Reviews > I, Jedi

I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

F_50x66
May 05, 11

“I Jedi” by Michael Stackpole is a very unique Star Wars book. It was the first book to be written with a completely book-exclusive main character (he was never mentioned in any of the films). Also, this is the first and so far only Star Wars book to be written from a first person perspective.

The book parallels the timeline of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Indeed, several events are the same, only told from Corran Horn’s perspective, like the battle with the ancient Sith Lord on Exar Kuun on Yavin 4.

This book tells the story of Corran Horn, a former Corellian security officer-turned Rogue Squadron Pilot. His wife, Mirax Terrik Horn,who had been sent on a covert mission for the New Republic, disappears. Corran experiences strange feelings, like he is being somehow severed from his wife. He seeks the help of his friends Wedge Antilles and Luke Skywalker. Luke suggests that Corran has definite force potential, and offers Corran a place at his new Jedi academy. This, he reasons, will allow him to be better trained in his search for his wife. Along the way Corran discovers some previously unknown family history, including a lightsaber that beloneged to his grandfather, Nejaa Halcyon.

Corran goes to Yavin 4 and begins Jedi training. there, he helps to overthrow The Sith Lord Exar Kuun, even as he struggles with the temptations the dark side offers. With the help of his new Jedi friends, and others, Corran finally sets out to save his wife.

Review:
There are mixed feelings about this book among Star Wars fans. On the one hand, many people think of this as being one of the best Star Wars books written. They love the Horn’s, including the children that would eventually join the family. They love how the new, comparatively minor character adds a new perspective on Luke, Han, and others who are so well known by this time their personalities leave little to expand upon.

At the same time, many others express a dislike for this book. Reasons I have come across for this are that it portrays Corran Horn as being unreasonably talented, too good with the force to quickly, etc. Others assert that the book actually goes against the accepted history as outlined in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Horn’s character and motives are questioned as a result of the seemingly excessive length of time that it takes him to actually make a serious effort to recover his wife.

In my case, I am inclined to align myself with the former party rather than the latter. I think that an excess of talent or natural skills seems to be a pervading theme through all Extended Universe books, and if we are to reject it in one book we must necessarily be consistent in rejecting all other books. I find it amusing that people who love characters such as Wedge Antilles, Luke and Anakin Skywalker, and Jaina Solo would condemn Stackpole’s attribution of unusual piloting skills to his new character. All these other characters are considered to be flying prodigies if you will. There is nothing wrong with adding another to the list. Besides, aren’t all characters with force sensitivity even defined as being superior pilots?

I also appreciated the unique choice of using the first-person perspective. This created a much more personal and intimate relationship between the reader and the character, which will make the book stand out from all other Star Wars books to come. Until, of course, someone else does it too.

Overall, I liked this book. It was a little long, but overall quite enjoyable and an interesting up close and personal look into the life of the foundation of the Horn family, who would become an integral and beloved part of the history of the New Jedi Order in the future.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

Do you think that Star Wars authors abuse the abilities and “force-using” that are available to their characters? Why or why not?

For my blog go here: http://wynteradelle.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Jedi.