Shira Anthony's Reviews > Kindred Hearts

Kindred Hearts by Rowan Speedwell

May 23, 11

bookshelves: angst, historical, m-m-slash, coming-out, tearjerker, to-re-read
Read from May 19 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

Such a gorgeous book! The writing is outstanding, and the characterizations are rich and three-dimensional. Set at the time of the Napoleonic Wars, the historical details are vivid and well-researched. I've added this to my "to re-read" shelf, knowing that I will come back to it again and again. Just a stunning story, and so well-executed.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW: (view spoiler)

All of this happens before the book is 1/2 over! And that, in my opinion, is the beauty of this lovely novel. We learn about Tristan, feel his pain, understand where he's coming from, long before we ever meet Charles or even Lottie. The last half of the book focuses on the relationship between Tristan and Charles and their journey towards happiness as they recreate themselves. A nice added touch was the time Ms. Speedwell spent writing about the relationship between Tristan and his father, a man who genuinely loved his dead wife, and still mourns her loss, years later.

I cannot recommend this book too highly! A must for any lover of M/M historical romance. Definitely a gem.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred Hearts.