Dianne's Reviews > American Wife

F_50x66
May 05, 11

bookshelves: fiction-literature
Read in May, 2011

The story of a quiet, single child, Alice Lindgren brought up in small town America. I found the first half an absorbing read but got a little bored towards the end when Alice becomes the First Lady.

Alice reflects on her life, her friends and influences. She is a quiet, well behaved, introspective woman who is, at times, infuriatingly non-assertive. The major events of her life are a car accident at 17, and the repercussion from that, and meeting Charles Blackwell whom she marries. It is loosely based upon Laura Bush and her relationship with George. This becomes very clear when fact in the form of historic events enter the story but this is fiction and I had to consciously remind myself that the thoughts expressed by Alice, and her early life bear no relationship to the real characters.

Warning - some good sex scenes which again are certainly fictional, but seem to have put some readers off and and have appeared voyeuristic to others who have absorbed the Laura/Gearge Bush scenario too literally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Wife.