Karen Germain's Reviews > Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

Dec 14, 12

Read in May, 2011

I love David Sedaris and this may be his best collection yet. "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk" is a collection of short fiction stories about animals and is the perfect book for an afternoon. It's a quick read, but one that will warrent a revisit.

The stories seems simple, but have layers of meaning and often point to the faults that we have as humans. Sedaris uses animals to bring up taboo subjects and expose the ugly side of humanity. The stories often use humour as a deflection (and Sedaris really a master with comedy) for really horrific actions and thoughts of the characters. It's brilliant.

I don't think that there was a single story that I didn't enjoy. I found myself often surprised at the direction that Sedaris took the stories. It's almost impossible to pick a favorite, but I was really struck by the opening paragraph to "The Mouse and The Snake" and I want to share it.

"Plenty of animals had pets, but few were more devoted than the mouse, who owned a baby corn snake - a 'Rescue Snake'," she's be quick to inform you. This made it sound like he'd been snached from the jaws of a raccoon, but what she'd really rescued him from was a life without her love. And what sort of a life would that have been?"

I loved that. The rat is like a crazy cat lady!

Also brilliant with this collection are the illustrations by Ian Falconer. They are as sick and twisted as the stories!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.