Caitlin Trepp's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: bestseller-popular, conformity, dark-secret, dystopian, science-fiction, read-2011
Read from May 28 to 29, 2011

Throughout most of this book, I loved it. The setting was rich and the premise delivered even better than I hoped. There are a couple reasons this book doesn't get 5 stars. The main reason is the ending. It isn't so much that I didn't get the ending that I wanted (for example, if I wanted a "happily ever after" vs. a "more realistic" ending). I wish I could write it here without spoiling it. The ending is flawed (from a feminist perspective), in my opinion, and a few events toward the end don't make sense. It would have been cooler maybe if this book was written as a stand-alone, because the ending seemed like it was constructed in such a way that it could resolve one conflict without revealing too much of what was going on. I liked the foreshadowing, and some of the characters very much. They weren't as well developed as the setting, though. They were written somewhat black and white. I would probably recommend this book for the setting alone - it was amazing - but I think I'll get someone else to read the next book before me and tell me what happens. Otherwise, unlike most of the books I rate four stars, I probably won't be picking up the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

Veronica Roth
“My problem might be that even if I did go home, I wouldn’t belong there, among people who give without thinking and care without trying.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent