Ibjoy1953's Reviews > Griselda Takes Flight

U 50x66
May 04, 2011

Read in April, 2011

MY REVIEW

The Bright’s Pond town residents didn’t know what to think when a one man plane landed it their small community. Then another stranger, Gilda rents a house in the small town, with her fiancé in the hospital unconscious because of an accident while treasure hunting. Things like this just didn’t happen here. The biggest happenings at this time of year in this little community would be the pumpkin contest and the Harvest dance. Everyone seems to think the three of these strangers coming to town at the same time must be involved in something illegal with the treasure hunt. The really don’t trust any of them. And of course this sends Chief Police Mildred on another wild goose chase to solve the mystery.

Then, as if there are not problems enough, Griselda decides she needs to explore more than just Bright’s Pond, and takes an interest in the pilot of the plane and flying. She is so intrigued with it that she is talking flying lessons, but this just doesn’t sit right with her long time friend Zeb. Can she juggle her time between her jobs at the library, her sister in the nursing home, flying lessons, and of course Zeb, since everyone just takes it for granted that they are an item?

And then there is Stella and Nate trying to raise the largest pumpkin to win the contest! They work faithfully with their pumpkin Bertha Ann. Yes, they even gave the pumpkin a name! Nothing else matters in Nate’s world except Bertha Ann. Well, what do you think, will his hard work pay off when the time comes for the weigh-in?

And the man in the hospital turns out to be Stella’s brother, but they haven’t gotten along in years, ever since he stole her inheritance. She just can’t go see him after what he’s done. And this person that’s supposed to be his fiancé, or as Stella calls her a ‘hussy”? What is with her and why is she so anxious for him to wake up so she can marry him ASAP? Could there be something else going on, a secret lurking? You will have to read the book to find out!

I love the characters in this book. A few others are Cliff the plane pilot, Ivy and her dog Mickey Mantle, Ruth, Studebaker , and others that hang out at the Full Moon Café owned by Zeb. The author created fun, lovable characters that make you laugh, but then you want to cry with them. I would recommend this book to those that like a good fun light read.

I was generously given a free copy of this book from Abingdon Press as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griselda Takes Flight.