The Flooze's Reviews > How to Speak Dragonese

How to Speak Dragonese by Cressida Cowell

May 04, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, owned, vanquished_2011, tales_for_tots_to_middle_grade
Read from September 22 to October 03, 2011 , read count: 1

These books are extremely entertaining. There’s appeal here for both kids and adults alike. Children will be fascinated by Hiccup’s exploits: his Viking training sessions, his interactions with dragons of all shapes and sizes, his marvelous ability to outsmart smarmy characters. Adults will enjoy these aspects, too, but may be even more impressed with the emphasis on brains vs. brawn, Hiccup’s determination to be his own person, and the main characters’ willingness to work as a team when it matters.

Add to all of these qualities a healthy dose of easy humor and Cowell’s series is excellent so far.

How to Speak Dragonese ends with a charming epilogue from the point of view of the present-day Hiccup. This may have been my favorite part of the book, though I’m not sure how it will go over with the kiddies since it’s more adult in tone. It’s a moment of reflection and summary that reminds us of the important things:
"However small we are, we should always fight for what we believe to be right. And I don’t mean fight with the power of our fists or the power of our swords…I mean the power of our brains and our thoughts and our dreams.
And as small and quiet and unimportant as our fighting may look, perhaps we might all work together…and break out of the prisons of our own making. Perhaps we might be able to keep this fierce and beautiful world of ours as free for all of us as it seemed to be on that blue afternoon of my childhood."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Speak Dragonese.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

Cressida Cowell
“However small we are, we should always fight for what we believe to be right. And I don’t mean fight with the power of our fists or the power of our swords…I mean the power of our brains and our thoughts and our dreams.

And as small and quiet and unimportant as our fighting may look, perhaps we might all work together…and break out of the prisons of our own making. Perhaps we might be able to keep this fierce and beautiful world of ours as free for all of us as it seemed to be on that blue afternoon of my childhood.”
Cressida Cowell, How to Speak Dragonese

The Holy Terror Oh, I took this out from the library because you reminded me of them. Have you actually started this yet?

The Flooze I'm almost done actually. Just need to find a moment to read the last chapter or two.

message 3: by AH (new)

AH I read this book to a group of 3rd graders and they were howling with laughter. They loved the language lessons.

The Flooze Advanced rudery!