Q-Laura Zarate's Reviews > The Dreamer

The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: latino-picture-books
Read from May 04 to 07, 2011

If I had met Pablo Neruda I'll have fallen in love with him. He had a sensibility to his world like no one else. He could see the difference of colors in the grass. I love the fact that he collects little souvenirs from nature.
The story is full of poetry, images and feelings. The illustrations are unique and dream like.
I read the book in Spanish.
I have seen a movie about Neruda's life. In the movie someone asks him to write a letter for his love just like the story in the book.
Growing up in Colombia I heard many stories about Pinochet and the other dictators that hurt our people. Reading this story I felt the nervousness that all the stories gave me. It took me back in time.
Some of the feelings of oppression from his father are the same than the dictators produce on people. Sadly under oppression if where some of the best writers have emerge.
Don't miss the author's notes. It explains why the ink is green in the book.
The fire that burned the newspaper reminded me of the destruction of the Cinema Paradiso in the movie of the same title.
I love the book and I can't wait to read it in English.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreamer.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Although I do not gravitate towards choosing to read poetry novels on my own, after reading your review, I am going to mark this book as a to-read. The fact that nature is incorporated in the book draws me into reading it. It seems that Pam Munoz Ryan presents the story of oppression in a realistic way for the reader to truly get a sense of what people experience when living under an aggressive dictatorship.

You make the comment “sadly under oppression it’s where some of the best writers have emerged.” You are right on point here. I think this is because they have the firsthand account of what truly happened and they can share their own personal experiences best with the world.

As a side note, I admire that you initially read the book in Spanish and now want to read it in English. I think that is an excellent thing to experience and I wish I could do the same!

Q_Jill Burke I really liked this book too. I loved when he came out of the forest with his pockets full of nature. It reminded me of one of my kids. It broke my heart when his father was embarrassed by this. After reading this book, I had to look up his poems. He is a beautiful writer. Very heart felt.

L13 Tracy Beling I loved this book and have already decided it will be the first novel of the year with my 5th graders next year! In a world where kids are too digitally connected, I am always encourging them to go outside and to recognize the beautiful things in our world. I think this will be a great start to our year with beautiful writing and an amazing story to lead us into a poetry unit.

Q_michelene Haggard I appreciated your comment in class about this book: you said you enjoyed reading it in Spanish, that it had an extra sparkle. It reminded me that some things are just difficult to fully translate, especially with figurative language. I would think especially so with poetry.

message 5: by Kymber (new)

Kymber Does anyone know if this was originally written in Spanish??