Aaron Maurer's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

Easily one of my top reads of the year. I am placing this right up there with Game of Thrones for my fiction reading of 2011(more science fiction). I was put into memory bliss reliving and reading names of games and 80's pop culture that I grew up with. I kept a tab on all cultural references and now have a long list of items to read, watch, and play.

Aside from my nostalgia moments, the story was so intriguing. I was fascinated by the online world. It seems so plausible as each generation growing up is more tuned in online than the real world. I was so curious about how the author would intertwine all the elements presented. I was blown away more than once at how he integrated so much and made it seem so easy to follow. I felt like I was actually part of a game myself.

There is a lot of action, a lot of tense moments, very likable characters, and of course everything for a geek to love and adore. If you are a fan of movies, video games, pop culture, the future of technology, etc. then you MUST read this book. You will not be disappointed. Too bad this book is going to put a damper on my reading time as I go back to relive my moments of glory on my 8 bit NES.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

08/20/2011 page 127
33.0% "Love this book. Cannot stop reading. Makes me want to play my old nintendo."