Patty's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

1020899
This book is a bit late for me, but then my daughter arrived in 1989 - life was different then. Not that it is ever easy to rear children, but consumerism didn't seem so rampant then. I think I was just too busy to see all the influences on my children.

There was nothing surprising in this book, at least for me. Orenstein is trying to raise her daughter in a culture that is not very supportive of independent, spirited women. Orenstein has made her reputation writing about girls and young women. Having her own daughter now means she has to live up to the ideals she has espoused. I have a lot of sympathy for Orenstein. Our culture does not make raising daughters easy and we don't seem to allow any "expert" to make mistakes.

I am glad I read this. Orenstein is an excellent writer who knows how to tell her story. Using her own experiences makes this even more compelling. I would recommend this to anyone who has a young girl. There is no easy fix, but Orenstein will give folks food for thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.