Karolinde (Kari)'s Reviews > The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

The Softwire by P.J. Haarsma

May 04, 11

bookshelves: middle-level-books, sci-fi, kindle-edition
Read in May, 2011

If I could, I would have given this book 3 1/2 stars. It is a very fun sci-fi story.

JT, his sister, friends, and enemies were born and live on a ship they call mother. Their destination is Orbis 1, were their now dead parents were going as indentured servants. The children find themselves placed in servitude with no real hope of escape. JT, it turns out, is a softwire and has the ability to communicate with and manipulate computers with his mind. The problem is that as soon as he arrives, the central computer starts crashing and all clues point to him.

Good points: The relationships between the kids, especially JT and his sister and JT and his nemesis are entertaining and actually crucial to the story. And there is no strange love triangle! The wide variety of aliens are fun and scary in a G sort of way.

Bad points: Some of the plot twists just don't make sense, especially where JT's father is concerned.

I plan on reading the other four books and younger readers might enjoy the interactive website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Softwire.