Liza Gilbert's Reviews > 50 Poisonous Questions: A Book with Bite

2035961
May 12, 11

bookshelves: children-s-non-fiction
Read in May, 2011

I looked forward to reading this after having read Kyi's 50 Burning Questions. The format used by Kyi and hilarious illustrator Ross Kinnaird still works here. One can breeze through this book in no time at all and still pick up loads of information and at least 50 laughs.

The text covered "poisonous" by addressing snakes, frogs, insects, fish, water, poison as murder, toxic dumping, and more. I appreciated the attention given to toxic water supplies and the dumping of nuclear material. In this day and age, talking about recycling and community responsibility is welcome in a children's book.

However. But. Alas.

While toxic accidents and intentional dumping was discussed around the world and efforts were made to say that recycling and laws have been put in place in some of these locations, the role the U.S. plays in polluting and poisoning the planet was glossed over by omission. There was no mention that the United States is the leading contributor or one of the leading contributors of many forms of pollution in the world.

I loved the format, the illustrations, and the other information in the book, but since this is supposed to be a non-fiction, informative book for children, I'm disappointed that the children to whom this is marketed will not receive the truth about the role their nation plays in poisoning the planet and its inhabitants. And, since that information was not presented, the children will also not learn about the things that are being done in this country to improve these situations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 50 Poisonous Questions.