Christine Smith's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

May 04, 11

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp has reached the bookshelf of my heart! It’s a life-changing book I intend to gift to family and friends, an heirloom for the path of life. The book is perfect reading for Easter, Mother’s Day, Graduations and special occasions. It’s also applicable to someone living in the darkness of depression and defeat. Without doubt, this is now one my favorite books ever written.You’ve probably seen me using the hashtag #1000gifts on Twitter as I share some of my gratitude gifts with my friends or my blog list of Counting My One Thousand Gifts.

The central focus of the book is gratitude, and seeing life though the lens of Ann Voskamp. As she writes this poetic book, she sees what gifts we ordinarily do not see in life. Simple gifts, such as

* #0001…Morning shadows across the old floors
* #0022…Mail in the mailbox
* #0971…Kettle whistling for tea on a cold afternoon

We often miss the small gifts of life, because we are too focused on our problems. The shadow across an old floor is a reminder that we have a home filled with memories, the mail in the mailbox is a reminder of the elderly who are lonely without, and the kettle on the cold afternoon reminds me of tea with my grandmother. Gifts. Small. Simple. One thousand of them.

Reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp inspired me to create my own gift list, and encourage you to craft one as well. One warning- don’t just read the book review and assume you can begin your gift list! You need to read the book to understand eucharisteo, grace and gratitude. You need to read about Ann’s triumph over depression, and how her 1000 gifts changed her attitude towards life, family and home. Many times I’ve tried to create a “gratitude list” and I assure you this book is not like an Oprah challenge! The book is penned with beauty, colorful imagery, and words of inspiration. Read it cover-to-cover, and your life will change dramatically. “In naming that which is right before me, that which I’d otherwise miss, the invisible becomes visible,” write Ann. We need to see what we cannot see, ad we do this through the eyes of scripture and Jesus. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp is a must-read during Lent and to prepare for Resurrection Day on Easter Sunday. I’ll enjoy reading this book year-after-year and will never tire of it. I received an advance copy of this book from Zondervan in exchange for my unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.