Daleb.'s Reviews > The First World War

May 26, 2011

liked it
Recommended to Daleb. by: A gift from a Friend
Read from April 27 to May 12, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: first time

May 4th, 2011 (May the Fourth Be With You...Happy Star Wars Day)

So far it's an interesting read for all the facts and behind the scenes politics...the crappy political situation of our current world makes just a bit more sense now.
I'm just now into chapter 8 and mostly it's a lot of facts, and figures, troop movements, world politics, a few shipping/naval stories, deaths, etc., and not a lot of actuall, in the trenches, war stories.
On the plus side there are quite a few pictures from the various fronts of the war and Loads of maps (i've used up my excess supply of bookmarks just to keep them all ready at hand), which are quite handy as things were soooo different back then w/borders being wildly changed from what we are used to today. Not to mention all the changed names of countries and cities and such.
On the negitive side, not more than a mention of the flying part of this war, so far (i'm a big airplane buff), other than talking about recon. by air a few times. Already into 1917 and no air stories at all???
A good book to have around for all the info., but so far i'm not sure i'll be reading it again any time soon, after i'm finished, like i usually do w/my other war books.
xoDaleB.xo

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First World War.