Karen Fowler's Reviews > You're Next

You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz

May 26, 2011

Read in May, 2011

YOU'RE NEXT is a complex tale of necessary deceptions, long-buried secrets and the unraveling of one man's life as he knows it. It's slated for release July 5th according to Amazon.

I had a little bit of trouble getting into the novel, which admittedly might be my fault. This is the first "real" tangible book I've read in a good while, and I can see now how effortless e-reading has become for me. That said, there is a fair amount of backstory in the beginning with a dash of foreshadowing, but the real action takes a little time to get heated up. This slow-burn was frustrating and I was anxious to get to the meat of the plot. I did find the backstory interesting, it's just that when I read a suspense novel, I expect the suspense to commence early enough to hook me right away.

While it's mostly suspense, YOU'RE NEXT also delves into familial relationships, trust, what it means to be an honest person, and the bonds formed by brothers-in-foster hood. Over all, it's a compelling read. Just push through the slower beginning and you won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You're Next.