Steph 's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

My relationship with Maggie Stiefvater’s books is a strange one because there’s so much dread involved. I know, right? Weird. Allow me to explain: I read Shiver way back when and simply adored her prose and the book’s conclusion. As a matter of fact, I adored it so much that I decided that I didn’t want anything to ruin the ending for me and, to this day, I have yet to read Linger or Forever. Every time I think about finally giving them a go, I end up putting them back on my shelf. So, when I read that The Scorpio Races was a standalone, I was so excited that there wasn’t a possibility of a similar experience and, plus, the synopsis sounded absolutely amazing to me. I eagerly looked forward to its release, pre-ordered it, the whole nine yards...and then the reviews began to trickle in. A few lukewarm reviews began to pop up and I found myself in the similar state of dread that I feel when I consider reading Linger and Forever. I was worried over how it would turn out, that it wouldn’t reach my initial expectations, so I kept bumping it down on my TBR pile. I shouldn’t have worried because I loved it so much that the conclusion left me wanting to weep.

The Scorpio Races is set on the island of Thisby where flesh-eating horses, known as the capall uisce, rise from the ocean every fall. Men who decide to participate in the Scorpio Races train with their selected capall uisce with the goal of winning some fame and money. This a dangerous game to play, though, as the capall uisce are not animals that can be controlled and there are many participants who don’t even make it to the actual races.

Kate Connolly, aka Puck, decides to enter the Scorpio Races in attempt to keep her older brother, Gabe, on the island longer. She’s the first female to enter the competition and, despite the expected criticisms that she receives, she’s driven and has so much spirit. At first I was a little frustrated that she was entering with her common horse, Dove, but all it meant was that she had to fight harder. And she did.

Sean Kendrick is the four time winner of the Scorpio Races and somewhat of a horse whisper when it comes to the capall uisce. Although he’s not a man of many words, he still managed to have such a presence throughout the course of the novel. His bond with Corr was beautiful and, though I loved Puck and cheered for her, it was Corr and Sean that had my heart.

The romance between Sean and Puck is a slow one, but that did not detract from their chemistry in any way. I was so pleased with their development, how they came together, and the moments that they shared. The swoonage may have been understated, but it was definitely there and I loved every second of it.

The side characters were just as memorable. The three standouts were 1) Gabe, Puck’s older brother, whose actions lead Puck into the races, 2) Finn, Puck’s other brother,who was the cutest and most adorable ever, and 3) Mutt Malverin. Mutt who made me rage and who has earned a spot in my “Characters I Hate” list. Truly, I hate him.

Then, of course, there’s the capall uisce. Stiefvater made these creatures come alive for me. It was easy to feel the respect, reverence, attachment, and fear that many of the characters felt for them -- especially the fear. There’s one particular scene that had my eyes bugging out because it was so terrifying. Even thinking about it now makes my stomach drop, ugh.

Now, to the conclusion. It was so beautiful and so perfect that, yes, I had to hold back a sobfest that threatened to erupt out of me. Just like the majority of the book, it was quiet and understated, but it evoked SO MANY FEELINGS. This book, that ending..a definite all-time favorite.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Quotes Steph Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“I hear laughter and someone asks if I need help, not in a nice way. I snarl, "What I need is for your mother to have thought a little harder nine months before your birthday.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I say, 'I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick.'
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, 'It's late for that, Puck.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“In the middle of all this, as Sean slips out of his jacket, he looks over his shoulder at me and he smiles at me, just a glancing, faint thing before he turns back to Tommy. I'm quite happy for that smile, because Dad told me once you should be grateful for the gifts that are the rarest.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You two are a strange pair. You are a pair, aren't you?"

"We're in training.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He is slow, and the sea sings to us both, but he returns to me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There are moments that you'll remember for the rest of your life and there are moments that you think you'll remember for the rest of your life, and it's not often they turn out to be the same moment.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“And I told you before, I'll sell you any of the thoroughbreds.”
“I didn't make any of those thoroughbreds. I didn't make them what they are.”
“You made all of them what they are.”
I don't look at him. “None of them made me who I am.”

11/27/2011 page 16
11/29/2011 page 236
58.0% "Ahhh, officially terrified of these horses."
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Samita (new)

Samita O.O