Aelira's Reviews > Working for the Devil

Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow

U_50x66
May 04, 11

Read in May, 2011

Working for the Devil is the first book in Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series.

I initially picked it up because I was looking for a fast, fun read, and the premmace sounded intriguing.

In the proverbial nutshell, our heroine, colorfully crissend Dante Valentine, works as a necromancer in a futuristic city, raising the dead for fun and profit. She is so good at it that the devil himself contracts her for a rather special side job. He wants her to kill the demon Santino and return the egg, a demonic artifact he stole while escaping from Hell. Oh, and Lucifer naturally assigns Dante a demon familiar as a body-guard.

The novel unfolds with the usual secondary characters, magic, battles, and a teensy bit of romance.

Over all, this book was exactly the light, fast-paced read I was looking for. My only complaint lies with the amount of futuristic jargon the reader is expected to figure out. I didn't have a problem with it (I'm a bit of a sci-fi fan,) but it was rather jarring at first. Otherwise, this is a good book with well-drawn characters and an interesting setting. I think many urban fantasy fans will enjoy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working for the Devil.