Janet's Reviews > Round Ireland with a Fridge

Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks

May 09, 11

Read from May 04 to 09, 2011

I was disappointed, really wanted to like it. I didn't laugh once-maybe British humor is beyond me, but it seemed to me he was looking down his nose at the Irish, and seemed to think they were all nutcases-this from a man trailing a mini-fridge. It would have interested me more if he wasn't a celebrity attracting attention-seems like most of his rides were pre-arranged due to the publicity. It would have been a totally different book if he'd been anonymous and actually hitched rides; he whined whenever he was forced to stand on the side of the road and actually hitchhike. And there were way too any pub visits and too little about places and people he wasn't trying to pick up or impress. I mean, getting a ride from a man whose van says 'Swan Rescue' is worthy of a chapter, but he didn't even explain what the man did to rescue swans, or even say if he had a conversation with the man. I kept thinking of what Bill Bryson would have made of it. I got the impression the whole thing was an ego trip, and I wouldn't call it travel writing. I'd give it one and a half stars, because there were a few mildly amusing bits, and an occasional interesting piece of information about history, though those were few and far between.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Round Ireland with a Fridge.

Sandy Good! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Sandy Sorry you didn’t like it but I loved this book and laughed out loud, so maybe we just have a different sense of humour.

It wasn't meant to be a Bill Bryson travel book, it was just a guy doing a crazy stunt and I didn't think he "looked down his nose at the Irish", on the contrary he left me with the impression that the Irish are a great fun-loving people willing to join in and give a helping hand – or a surf board, a wetsuit, even an air bag and turn a stunt into a legend, as only the Irish can. Doing it completely anonymous would have taken away the spirit of ‘the quest’ and deprived the book of the warmth and camaraderie kindled by the radio station.

Janet Yes, I can see it wasn't meant to be a Bill Bryson-type travel book. I like your take on it, it's always nice to know what other people see that I don't.