Sababa's Reviews > Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean

I have been reading regency romance novels for quiet sometime. To be honest, I felt I have read all that was there to pique my interest. And then randomly I picked up Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake from the library shelf and I was astounded. As I finished reading it, I was eager to get my hands on the next to novels in the series. I even bought this particularly novel, even before I read it. Why? I knew it would be good.

This is a delicious novel. Juliana intigued me in the very first book of this series. She was like a lost woman looking for a place in the world. But you would not find her simpering, or staggering. Despite her inner struggles, she put up a brave front for the world to see. She built a steady relationship with both her brothers and a strong friendship with Callie and Mariana. She is certainly not English and the more you read the more you'll know how she is different. I love her spirit and her courage and more than that I love her capability to face herself.

Simon, the perfect Duke, was completely different from the other characters I had read. No, he was not a rake. No he was not the kind to fall in love either. No he was not cynical. So how do I describe him? To me, Simon was raised a proper Duke, raised by a proper Duchess in a proper environment. He had his set of morals, not so different from that of the ton. He was prejudiced to some extent, he was rude and arrogant. He was not spoiled. He knew his duty and was aware of his responsibilities. He was a Duke, simply. Believe it or not, I find it easier to forgive his lackings because of his sense of duty. True, he was not the ideal of heroes, but I could not fault him for being the duke he was raised to be. Then after meeting Juliana, he fell in love with her. But it didn't sway him from his responsibilities. He didn't often make the right choices, say the right things, do the right things. But it is easier to make mistakes. And I liked his resolve, his stubbornness. I like that he follows and plan through as much as he can, but if there are hitches he adapts his plans and makes changes. He shows love in a different way and he feels a lot than he shows.

This novel explored romance and scandal thoroughly. I could not put the book down without thinking of getting back to it. There were so many unexpected turns and emotions. You don't know what you'll read next and that is what makes it so good. Absolutely Awesome.

Sarah MacLean is one of the finest author I have read so far and in an alarmingly short period of time she had topped my list of favorite authors. I want to read more...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart.

Quotes Sababa Liked

Sarah MacLean
“I . . . hit him . . . elsewhere.”
“Where?”
“In his . . .In his inguine.”
“Oh, dear God.” It was unclear whether Ralston’s words were meant as prayer or blasphemy.
What was clear was that the woman was a gladiator.
“He called me a pie!” she announced, defensively. There was a pause. “Wait. That’s not right.”
“A tart?”
“Yes! That’s it!” She registered her brother’s fists and looked to Simon. “I see that it is not a compliment.”
“No. It is not.”

Sarah MacLean
“Juliana?” the words were low and far—too calm for her husband, who had found that he rather enjoyed the full spectrum of emotion now that he had experienced it.
“Yes?”
“What are you doing twenty feet in the air?”
“Looking for a book.”
“Would you mind very much returning to the earth?”
“What are you thinking, climbing to the rafters in your condition?”
“I am not an invalid, Simon, I still have use of all my extremes.”
“You do indeed—particularly your extreme ability to try my patience—I believe, however, that you mean extremities.”

Sarah MacLean
“Yes, she was a scandal.
Her brother simply didn’t know it.
“I fell in the Serpentine today.”
“Yes, well, that doesn’t usually happen to women in London. But it’s not so much of a scandal as it is a challenge.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly22 Great Review Sababa! :)

Sababa Kelly22 wrote: "Great Review Sababa! :)"

thanks kelly!