Hira's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: favorites, books-to-read-2011
Read from November 13 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

An extremely beautiful book, both heartbreaking and uplifting, Diffenbaugh's writing is both luminous and stark, in nature. Diffenbaugh's novel chronicles the story of Victoria Jones. Victoria uses the language of flowers to communicate her emotions,desires and grief - a skill taught to her by her last foster mother Elizabeth. Victoria's life has come undone in the foster-care system, and her self-destructive behavior has only served to distance her from others. But when she begins working for a flower shop, she runs into a mysterious flower vendor who tears open old wounds, brings up new desires, and has her questioning her entire life. This book shows us how Victoria grows, and the hardships she goes through - all the while using flowers as solace for her soul and the language of flowers, as a means to express her innermost feelings. A brilliant book, that really makes you feel! a MUST, MUST, MUST READ!!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

11/13/2011 page 190
57.0% "Began reading this not too long ago, and already, I am a huge fan. Author Diffenbaugh's writing is absolutely unpretentious, real and oh-so-refreshing! :)"
11/13/2011 page 260
77.0% "I can't put this book down! It is both beautiful and heartbreaking, all at the same time!"